Champdogs Information Exchange - Not logged in
Forum Board Index Breeders Active Topics Help Search Register Login
Previous Next Up Topic Dog Boards / Health / Pyometra, can it come back if been spayed?
By Gemini05 (***) [gb] Date 11.03.08 13:08 GMT
Some of you know my girl had an emergency spay last July due to having terrible Pyometra, she had the inner and outer pyometra so had to have emergency spay to save her life.
I worry about my girl most days, as I was told that because she had pyometra and has been spayed she may live a shorter life then normal and the fact that even though she has been spayed she could still get Pyo again??
Loving you Mika, my BMD boy 12/04/99 - 17/05/07 xx
Will never forget you my darling boy xx
By gummy (*) [gb] Date 11.03.08 13:29 GMT
Hi
I had to have an emergency op to save my Pippa who had a closed pyo, all the reproduction organs were removed as they were massively infected.
Once the uterus has beeen removed there is NO chance of further pyo, there is nothing there to become infected.
As for having a shorter life span due to being spayed I have no idea, the only experiaence I can relay is that our Lab was spayed at 2 years old and she is now 12 and still going strong
nil disperandum illigitimo carborundum
By jackson (**) [gb] Date 11.03.08 13:36 GMT
Once the uterus has beeen removed there is NO chance of further pyo, there is nothing there to become infected.

That is not true. Spaying virtually eliminates the risk of pyo, but not entirely, as the uterine stump which is left can still become infected. It is quite rare, but far more dangerous, IMO, as peopl edo not expect it so are not on the look out for symptoms.

If your bitch is exhibiting symptoms of pyo, I would take her to your vet and query it and be prepared for them to say she can't have pyo.
By Jeangenie (*****) [gb] Date 11.03.08 13:38 GMT
There's absolutely no reason to think that her lifespan has been shortened by having had pyo or being spayed.

Regarding a repeat - there is a condition called 'stump pyometritis' where the remaining stump of the uterus becomes infected, but it's very rare.
A closed mouth gathers no feet
By AlisonGold (***) [gb] Date 11.03.08 13:40 GMT
As far as I am aware she cannot suffer from another Pyo. As for shortening the life. My older girl had an emergency closed Pyo when she was 5. She is coming up 13 1/2 which is good age for a Golden at the best of times.
The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
By Gemini05 (***) [gb] Date 11.03.08 14:00 GMT
thank you everyone for your posts.

I needed to make sure, as I sure I was told that pyo could come back even if she has been spayed, and sorry for using the wrong terms for Pyo should have put closed and open instead of inner and outer!! LoL

My girl is healthy, I am going to bath her tomorrow as she is a tad smelly but I feel that is due to wet field walks, but I am keeping a close eye on her for the signs of Pyo.

as for the shorten lifespan, that is something I was just told, can't remember who told me, but had never really heard it before, and it is nice to here that your girls have been spayed and are doing well at good ages xx thank you
Loving you Mika, my BMD boy 12/04/99 - 17/05/07 xx
Will never forget you my darling boy xx
By Jeangenie (*****) [gb] Date 11.03.08 14:18 GMT

>it is nice to here that your girls have been spayed and are doing well at good ages xx thank you

I had a bitch who was spayed at 12 months of age and died aged 15 years - spaying doesn't shorten life! :-D
A closed mouth gathers no feet
By Brainless (*****) [gb] Date 11.03.08 18:56 GMT
I supose the only link to lifespan is if organs are badly affected by the Septacaemia (sp) from a Pyo, but if they survived the op and rehab and returned to full health then I doubt there wodul be enough damage to affect lifespan much.
Barbara and the Grey Curly Tails.
By Blue (****) [gb] Date 11.03.08 22:33 GMT
Hi Guys,

Not entirely true that it can't affect mortality. It really depends on how bad the Pyo was and what was affected.  Not sure what % need to ask my vet but there are a good % that have had some other damage caused by the infection. A close pyo is often missed and not noticed till other signs are present.

Two things I personally know that are and can be damaged is Kidneys & teeth.

My Pyo bitch has both teeth and kidney problems directly related to the Pyo and I think ultimately will shorten her life because of it.

This however is likely to be in the lower % as spaying is very successful.

An open Pyo in my opinion will have a lot better success rates.
Previous Next Up Topic Dog Boards / Health / Pyometra, can it come back if been spayed?
About Us - Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy