Champdogs Information Exchange - Not logged in
Forum Board Index Breeders Active Topics Help Search Register Login
Previous Next Up Topic Dog Boards / General / How do you strip a dogs coat?
By shelwil (*) [gb] Date 11.06.08 14:19 GMT
I own a long haird Lurcher,  I used to take to the groomers to get his coat of around this time of year, but he hated it, so I baught some shears and did him myself (quite well I suprised myself)  but after 3 uses they are blunt.  I have heard people on about stripping, but I dont know what it is or how to do it, could anyone please tell me. 

Thanks
Sheli
By Whistler (***) [gb] Date 11.06.08 14:59 GMT
Stripping is done by getting (finger stools rubber ones on your fingers) the hair and pulling it out. Its usually done to dogs that haven't been clipped I do it on my Cocker Spaniel. Takes ages but protects their coat from going all woolly. Mainly used on a show coat, it can be a bit painful but if you tug it quickly when they are on your lap they can get used to it quickly. The hair is usually ready to come out anyway.
By shelwil (*) [gb] Date 11.06.08 16:41 GMT
Thanks for replying,  I have not touched his coat at all this year.  I baught a slicka casting brush, which has brought loads of his coat out, I brush him daily with it.  Stripping sounds painful, really dont know if my dog would cope, he jumps a mile if I accidently pull at a tatty bit. 
By belgian bonkers (***) [gb] Date 11.06.08 16:49 GMT
I don't strip the coat as such, but I go through Dylans coat with a very fine toothed comb.  It took me about 4 hours (not all at once), but this gets a tremendous ammount of coat out (enough to pack 2 carrier bags!!) and he is now half the size he was before!  Dylan has always suffered with the heat and as he's not shown anymore, I feel this is better for him in the summer months.  I used to have cold towels, canine cooler and fans for him when he was shown, but now "stripped out" he's far more comfortable.
By wendy taylor [gb] Date 12.06.08 07:17 GMT
ooo a long time ago,on this site,someone advised I used a Coat King,and for one of my heavy coated girl,would never ever be without it,
Wendy
By belgian bonkers (***) [gb] Date 12.06.08 07:27 GMT
I tried a Coat King a couple of years ago but found it took top coat out too!!  Also used the Ferminator, great for shorter coats, but again, not suitable for long coats!
By Whistler (***) [gb] Date 12.06.08 07:52 GMT
Ditto two emails re coat king I have one of those as well at crufts I also got a stripping knife and thats ok. Or do what i now do and let the groomer take the strain, I usually wince as much as my dog when i strip his coat....
By wendy taylor [gb] Date 12.06.08 14:26 GMT
ahh its not one of our show dogs but a big old fluffy Mastiff,just keeps it manageable,I usually end up clipping her ears,and using Coat King on body,then she gets these great big yetti boots,lots of long hair between her toes,that sticks up,that all comes off as well,
Wendy
By belgian bonkers (***) [gb] Date 12.06.08 14:49 GMT
Love the "yeti boots" bit!
  I tried one on the fur monster but without me sectioning all the coat to get underneath, it removed quite a bit of his topcoat leaving undercoat showing (oops), he looked really strange and patchy until it grew back in again!
  If anyone has any ideas of any other tools that work on huge longcoats without me spending 4 hours combing, I'd be v. grateful!
By Dill (****) [gb] Date 12.06.08 19:22 GMT
Have you tried a shedding comb?  - 2 different lengths of teeth alternating along the comb

Don't know if it would work on a long coat like a Belgian, but with shorter coats, a rubber band wound round the comb also helps to take out excess coat at shedding time, as will a dampened rubber glove (marigold type)

Using rubber gloves or a rubber bathing 'brush' while bathing also helps enormously ;-)

I have used a Coat King on a very over-coated pet Sheltie (neutered :-( )  by sectioning the coat and working from underneath upwards, I managed a very good thinning of the coat without cutting it, but the size of Coat King is important, too fine a tool or using it too enthusiastically, will take loads of topcoat and leave it threadbare.  It still took 2-3 hours tho :-(
Neither a Psychic, nor a Clairvoyant!
By belgian bonkers (***) [gb] Date 12.06.08 19:27 GMT
Hi Dill,
I use a shedding blade and a furminator on my Malinois (works brill.). but haven't tried it on Dyl.  I think you'd need to section the coat as with a coat king.  Love the idea of a rubber band round the comb though!  That, I think would work very well.  Something to try when his undercoat comes back in again!

many thanks,
Sarah.
By theemx (***) [gb] Date 13.06.08 00:13 GMT
Do your stripping immediately after exercise as the pores will be open and the coat will come away more easily.

Use a comb wtih a rubber band woven through the teeth as this will grip the hair and pull it out and he might find that more comfortable than properly hand stripping.

I did put a lengthy reply about how to hand strip in another post on grooming recently so see if ou can find that - its not very hard to do, if you pair it with treats your dog will like it more, and its INFINATELY better for their coat than shaving, scissoring or using anything else (coat king, furminator etc) that cuts the coat.
By belgian bonkers (***) [gb] Date 13.06.08 06:53 GMT
Another excellent idea.  Hadn't thought of that one!

Cheers,
Sarah.
By shelwil (*) [gb] Date 13.06.08 11:34 GMT
Thanks for your reply, I will go have a look for your other post. 
Previous Next Up Topic Dog Boards / General / How do you strip a dogs coat?
About Us - Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy