Champdogs Information Exchange - Not logged in
Forum Board Index Breeders Active Topics Help Search Register Login
Previous Next Up Topic Dog Boards / Breeding / wormer for pregnant bitch
By fifi (**) [gb] Date 09.09.08 18:24 GMT
Was just on canine chemist website to get Drontal worming tablets as all the dogs are due wormed but one of my bitches is pregnant (I hope) and it says on description ' not recommended for pregnant bitches, use panacur instead'.  What wormer do you all use on your pregnant bitches?  It's 25 years since I last had a litter and would appreciate some experienced advice.  I like drontal and had planned on using the puppy liquid so would really like to have my bitch on the same stuff but don't want to do anything that will not be good for her or pups.
By cocopop (**) [gb] Date 09.09.08 19:38 GMT
Just from reading on here I think Panacur is the only wormer licensed for use in pregnant bitches. :-)
Forget Love, I'd Rather Fall In Chocolate!:-D
By suepei (*) [gb] Date 09.09.08 19:42 GMT
I use panicur 10% on my in whelp bitches, if i remember they say from about 40/45 days.

Sue
By white lilly (***) [gb] Date 09.09.08 19:50 GMT
drontal is safe when pregnent i was given it for my bitch with her last litter at 5weeks into it by vet ,i worm just before mating and then 5weeks into it and then when pups get wormed every 2weeks and so on !!! but didnt worm bitch this time when pregnent and regret it !!! pups een to have more worms this time !!
By R-we-there-yet [gb] Date 09.09.08 20:08 GMT
My vet has said that they happily use Milbermax just the once when pregnant to stop the whole senario of having to give her the liquid towards the end and up until she has whelped !!
Has anyone else had this one recommended by their vets?
By JeanSW (****) [gb] Date 09.09.08 20:58 GMT
I use Drontal on my adults, and always Drontal a bitch prior to mating.  However, I use Panacur 10% from day 40 of gestation, until 2 days post whelping.  I have such success with it that I've never seen worms - my vet once told me that it's only dog people who get excited about a perfect poo!  Puppies get a 3 day course at 2 weeks, 5 weeks and 8 weeks.  And I tell new puppy owners to give a 3 day course at 11 weeks. Which I do for any pups that I'm keeping.  When worming the pregnant bitch, I put the Panacur in with a bowl of white fish, and don't have the problem of trying to syringe it down their throats.  We all have our favourites, and the Panacur works for me.
The hurrier I go - the behinder I get!
By white lilly (***) [gb] Date 09.09.08 21:02 GMT
i wish id of done that jeanSW but sadly i didnt know and my vet said nothing :-(
By pugnut (**) [gb] Date 10.09.08 18:52 GMT
I do the same JeanSW, I mix it in with some Naturdiet. Dont like the idea of stressing her for the sake of it, especially being a brachycephalic breed. They dont appreciate having things forced down them!

Very good results with lovely healthy pups too. I think all vets should remind clients who have pregnant bitches that they know of, to worm them during pregnancy and just after. Most people worm before but dont neccessarly realise they should do it during too.
'Multum in Parvo'
By JeanSW (****) [gb] Date 10.09.08 21:05 GMT

> Most people worm before but dont neccessarly realise they should do it during too.

Agreed pugnut.  Whenever someone says pups have been poorly when using Panacur, it is often because they have such a heavy worm burden - which is so easily avoided if their Mum is treated during pregnancy.  Yes - I agree about avoiding stress too.  While I will gladly make a dog take medication (never tell them that it's optional!), I don't see any point in stressing a dog out when it can be avoided.
The hurrier I go - the behinder I get!
By Brainless (*****) [gb] Date 11.09.08 17:42 GMT

> Whenever someone says pups have been poorly when using Panacur, it is often because they have such a heavy worm burden - which is so easily avoided if their Mum is treated during pregnancy

I and another breeder I know both had problems with poorly pups after worming when we tried the three times protocol with pups, I had always wormed the Mum in pregnancy and in fact this bitch was the second generation so treated. 

I have never seen worms in pups or Mums and now stick to worming at 3 to 3 1/2 weeks and at 7 weeks, no problems.  This was what I was advised to do originally with the Panacur when dispensed by my Vet.  I didn't try the three times regime until my third litter with which I had problems.  one of my friends Pups nearly died.
Barbara and the Grey Curly Tails.
Previous Next Up Topic Dog Boards / Breeding / wormer for pregnant bitch
About Us - Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy