Champdogs Information Exchange - Not logged in
Forum Board Index Breeders Active Topics Help Search Register Login
Previous Next Up Topic Dog Boards / Health / Consultation Fees - how much does your vet charge ?
By cavlover (**) [gb] Date 25.09.09 09:38 GMT
Following on from the c-section price thread I am interested to know if there is a wide variation in standard consultation fees. Only a few years back it was 9.50 at our vets but is now 18. It varies at our vets depending on the animal - 16 for a cat and less I think for a rabbit, guinea pig etc.
I am in the North West.
*Passionate about my breed*
By colliecrew (**) [gb] Date 25.09.09 10:24 GMT
11 for the consultation fee. I am in Perth, Scotland
By fushang (**) [gb] Date 25.09.09 10:38 GMT
my vets is 25 we are in midlands.

my vets refer you to ' vets now' at another surgery on sundays only, their consultations after 7pm are a whopping 86 after 11pm  it is 120!!!!!!!
By Dill (****) [gb] Date 25.09.09 10:46 GMT
Last time I took one of mine to the vets, 3 years ago, it was 25 consultation eek For an elderly cat (final journey, cost extra)   and that's in one of the most deprived counties in Britain!!
Neither a Psychic, nor a Clairvoyant!
By Tessies Tracey (***) [au] Date 25.09.09 10:47 GMT
6 months ago, 35.00 per consult.  SE England.
By Jeangenie (*****) [gb] Date 25.09.09 11:00 GMT Edited 25.09.09 11:02 GMT
Current consultation price is 28-something (including VAT), in south Warwickshire.

The consultation fee is reduced or waived for routine claw-clipping or PTS, etc, and is less for follow-up consults for the same condition.
A closed mouth gathers no feet
By LucyMissy (**) [gb] Date 25.09.09 11:17 GMT
I use 2 vets - 1 charges 19.50 per consultation although this is waived for some routine procedures (I only pay 18.00 to have anal glands emptied). My other vet charges about 22.00. That's in West Yorkshire.
By cavlover (**) [gb] Date 25.09.09 12:39 GMT
It really amazes me how much fees vary. I thought 18 having been only 9.50 a few years ago was quite steep, but clearly it isn't! Our vet charges cheaper consultation for subsequent visits with same complaint too.

Now, our vets only charge 22 for a vaccine booster, which when you consider 18 is the consultation fee(presumably), it is extremely cheap.
By Dakkobear (***) [gb] Date 25.09.09 13:02 GMT
Depends on the animal but ours charges 5 to trim the rats teeth - can't remember what it is for the dog though - we are in Fife
By Masonsmum (**) [gb] Date 25.09.09 13:13 GMT
I took Mason to our vet for a small skin complaint on his leg. I walked away with 1 small tube of cream and a 69 bill :-o
By Pinky (***) [gb] Date 25.09.09 14:29 GMT
I had to have my poor old moggy PTS 2 years ago, it was a Sunday and cost me 110 :-(

Consultation fee around 28

Had a retained puppy canine removed from one of my girls last year, 79, they did give her a scale/polish and veneer though, like she needed it at such a young age :-(
A sandwich needs dog hair
By Jeangenie (*****) [gb] Date 25.09.09 14:42 GMT

>they did give her a scale/polish and veneer though

Scale and polish, yes, I can understand that, but you seriously mean a veneer? Those cost hundreds of pounds for people! I've never heard of vets doing them on dogs!
A closed mouth gathers no feet
By Sue H (*) [gb] Date 25.09.09 15:22 GMT
Ours has just increased to 18...i'm in the North West also.
By tatty-ead (***) [gb] Date 25.09.09 18:52 GMT
Suffolk - 24 usually but took Zuma up today for vet to have quick look at patch he scraped on back edge of his lower lip, only got charged 14.95.
Chris
By paulaj (**) [gb] Date 25.09.09 19:15 GMT
North Wales 14.95 there was a vet in our area that did not charge a consultation fee but a few months ago they implemented one which is also 14.95.
By mahonc (***) [gb] Date 25.09.09 19:32 GMT
24.50 + vat in liverpool. and free for any follow ups!

however i have just returned from holiday and my girl needed a staple removing from their local vet. was charged 5.50. was pleasantly surprised although not a big job i thought i would be charged a consult.
one dane, two dane. three dane four, five dane, six dane, seven dane MORE
By misswager (*) [gb] Date 25.09.09 19:53 GMT
Think its 25.00... I am in Essex. It should be free for follow ups as its the same condition, this is not the case at my vet! Grrrr
By suejaw (****) [gb] Date 25.09.09 20:09 GMT
Mine is around 25 for each consultation and continuous consultations for the same condition is a little bit cheaper.
I'm also in the SE..
By Cava14Una (***) [gb] Date 25.09.09 20:15 GMT
18 for dogs 11 for small animals not sure about cats. I'm in Fife
Anne in Scotland with Beardies and 2 blooming cheeky black and white cats
By suejaw (****) [gb] Date 25.09.09 20:19 GMT
I'm outstanded by the difference in prices and to think i would be on the same wage doing my job anywhere in the country.. So there are pluses to live in more remote areas of the UK.
By ali-t (***) [gb] Date 25.09.09 20:24 GMT

> 11 for the consultation fee. I am in Perth, Scotland

20 miles down the road in Dundee I am about 20 for an initial consultation and slightly cheaper for follow ups.  It would work out cheaper for me to drive to the vet in Perth but time is more precious than money so I will stick where I am :-)
The artist formerly known as cheekychow! - with a staffy and a rottie not a chow, but very cheeky!
By allaboutme_79 (*) [gb] Date 25.09.09 20:29 GMT
Im in west mids, mine is 25 for dogs and cats and 15 for small animals, cost me 39 to get my canary put to sleep :-(
By Harley (***) [gb] Date 25.09.09 20:42 GMT
Around 28 in Kent but seeing one of the nurses for things like claw clipping is free.
By killickchick (***) [gb] Date 26.09.09 07:26 GMT
27.47 for consult  10 for nail clipping. I'm Kent/Surrey border.
French Kisses are the Best !!!
By Henri3402 (**) [gb] Date 26.09.09 08:51 GMT
27 just over a year ago, thankfully haven't been since apart from boosters, we're in Aberdeenshire but the veterinary hospital is Aberdeen.
You haven't lived till you've lived with a Boxer!
By perrodeagua (****) [gb] Date 26.09.09 09:14 GMT
18 here in South Manchester on average I would think.
If I wanted a Poodle, OES, TT or IWS I would have bought one. SWD's shd. be natural and rustic. No
By STARRYEYES (****) [gb] Date 26.09.09 09:39 GMT
26.00 here in Liverpool
Faithful and true to the last beat of his heart.
By furriefriends (****) [gb] Date 26.09.09 14:21 GMT
Mine seems to be in the region of 12.00 initially and check ups are free. out of hours around 70 including vat.
Thats Croydon not too bad I dont think mind I seem to have an awfull lot of out of hours recently!
By Goldmali (****) [gb] Date 26.09.09 14:49 GMT
Just under 20 at my vet, Lincolnshire.
Marianne. Dogs are not our whole lives, there are cats too!
By arched (***) [gb] Date 26.09.09 16:12 GMT
Mmmmm - seems the best plan then is to marry a vet :-) !!
By Daisy (****) [gb] Date 26.09.09 17:56 GMT
My new vet in Norfolk (in the sticks) - 30+ (can't remember exactly) for first consultation, 24 for follow-up ! Was recommended to me, but too early to say whether he is worth it :-) Otherwise I will have to pick someone out of the Yellow Pages :-)

Daisy
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life
Churchill
By Pinky (***) [gb] Date 26.09.09 20:43 GMT

>> they did give her a scale/polish and veneer though

That's what they told me when I picked her up, scale polish and veneer, I have the receipt, apparently standard practice at my vets when dental work is done.
By Whistler (***) [gb] Date 28.09.09 07:22 GMT
Anal glad again cost 91 for a consultation, antibiotic injection and some pribiotic stuff to add to his meal. I think its 25 consultation.
By mastifflover (***) [gb] Date 28.09.09 11:58 GMT
Our vets charge 27.50 for the first consultaion (cheaper for follow ups), but there are plenty of free consultaions with a nurse (fully qualified nurses) such as post-op check, puppy/kitten first health check, weight/diet clinic, senior pet check-ups.
There is a cheaper local vet to us, but I know the standard of service form the vets we use is fantastic, they trully care about the animals they treat and really are worth every penny, whats more is they are an animal hospital, so have all the facilities for emergency & out of hours treatment at the clinic, covered by thier own vets that always work at the practice.

I do believe that the standard of care & service is much more important than the price (& I am FAR from being rich or even well off!!!).
start weight 145lbs . goal weight 140lbs (reached). New goal weight 133lb. current weight 139lb.
By cavlover (**) [gb] Date 28.09.09 12:23 GMT
"I do believe that the standard of care & service is much more important than the price (& I am FAR from being rich or even well off!!!). "

But nobody wants to be ripped off either and there is nothing to suggest that those of us who pay less are settling for a sub-standard service compared to those on these boards who pay an awful lot more. We all want the best for our dogs/other pets after all.
By LucyDogs (****) [gb] Date 28.09.09 16:07 GMT
30 for my vet, we're in north London. I can't wait to move to Suffolk!!!
By mastifflover (***) [gb] Date 28.09.09 17:35 GMT

> But nobody wants to be ripped off either and there is nothing to suggest that those of us who pay less are settling for a sub-standard service compared to those on these boards who pay an awful lot more. We all want the best for our dogs/other pets after all.

I am not suggesting that a cheaper vet is sub-standard in or vice-versa it's just that I personally have cheaper alternatives to the vets I use, however, I  prefer the standard & range of service and the fantastic compasion & understanding I get from my vets, so have no feeling of being ripped off atall, in fact I feel lucky to have such a good vets so close (1 mile away, & they run an animal ambulance for emergencies) :-)

As I said, the price isn't important, it' sthe standard of service, this works boths ways, if you have a fantastic vet that is 'cheap as chips' who offers a good range of services - great stuff :-)
start weight 145lbs . goal weight 140lbs (reached). New goal weight 133lb. current weight 139lb.
By puppygirl [gb] Date 28.09.09 18:23 GMT
17.50 in northern ireland. Thats just for the consultation.
By Freds Mum (***) [gb] Date 28.09.09 18:48 GMT
Im in the south west. I pay 28.99 for a consultation and 23 for a follow up consultation.
I cant argue with paying the prices - i know im paying for the vets knowledge and is one of the main costs of pet ownership that we take into account when getting an animal BUT i object to paying a consultation fee when i go in telling the vet roughly what the problem is,or to tell him what he diagnosed first is no better AND even more so (much like the NHS) you pay for the medicine and find it is the tiniest tube of ointment/lotion/cream EVER!!!!!
By Brainless (*****) [gb] Date 28.09.09 19:52 GMT
Well today I paid 25 plus the medication (anti-inflammatory injection and 15 AB tablets.) came to just over 40
Barbara and the Grey Curly Tails.
By Pinky (***) [gb] Date 28.09.09 20:21 GMT
When did you last see a vet or a dentist on a push bike ;-)
By chelzeagirl (***) [gb] Date 28.09.09 20:46 GMT Edited 28.09.09 20:50 GMT
27.00 at our vets, oh edit to say im in London,
I love dogs...it's humans that annoy me
By Moonmaiden (****) [gb] Date 28.09.09 21:14 GMT Edited 28.09.09 21:17 GMT
Haven't had a dog at the vet's for treatment since Kaycee went to the Bridge last year. When he went for his check up's I was charged less than a fiver for the vet's time & the meds he was on. If the pet has no treatment they don't charge, even when I took Wu when he had a grass seed in his paw, I was only charged the full consultation fee for the first visit(well I think it was the full fee)plus the meds & that only came to 25 !! his other two visits I was charged less than a fiver for the vets time & the cost of the meds.

I know one of the vets doesn't have a posh car, when I took a cat(not mine)out of hours he turned up in a W reg hatch back. The practice does have a couple of vehicles that belong to the practice-not flashy just customised vans for collecting any pets that the vet might have to bring to the surgery.
MM \O^O/ OMG Rjj is 4 eek cool Jessie is 3 :-) Mr Wu is 1 eek eek Roodee is here ;-)
By fushang (**) [gb] Date 28.09.09 23:03 GMT
there are no vehicles outside our vets so he must live nearby lol  i know his kids are in private education as i groom a dog for his kids teacher ,nosey arnt i lol

one of my dogs had a blood test last week, he couldnt tell me how much it would be cos it was a ' special one' (its prior to mating) and there would be a lab fee. went into day for results and it was 39 i thought it was going to be about 120!!! i came out smiling
By fushang (**) [gb] Date 28.09.09 23:07 GMT
sorry i meant prior to breeding not actual mating
By colliepam (***) [gb] Date 29.09.09 06:29 GMT
its about 19 pounds at my vets in notts.13 for follow ups.the v a t enrages me though!
By Tadsy (**) [gb] Date 29.09.09 06:52 GMT
35 for initial consultation, follow up 22 (last week - Kent.)

Must say I was surprised being charged for the follow up, my old vets never charged it.

T
By Brainless (*****) [gb] Date 29.09.09 09:54 GMT
Now that is a bugbear to me to,.

It would be illegal to not treat our animals yet we have to pay VAT as if it were a luxury.
By Daisy (****) [gb] Date 29.09.09 11:51 GMT
Owning a pet IS a luxury - it is not one of life's necessities and they shouldn't be owned unless the owner can afford ALL the expenses :-) If an animal is owned by a business, then the VAT can be reclaimed.

Daisy
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life
Churchill
By Brainless (*****) [gb] Date 29.09.09 14:21 GMT
The animal may be a luxury, but the Vet treatment is not, adn what about workign dogs as in the Vat on working dog food?
Previous Next Up Topic Dog Boards / Health / Consultation Fees - how much does your vet charge ?
About Us - Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy