Champdogs Information Exchange - Not logged in
Forum Board Index Breeders Active Topics Help Search Register Login
Previous Next Up Topic Dog Boards / Visitors Questions / INTERESTED IN BEARDED COLLIE,S
By guest [gb] Date 25.08.02 21:55 GMT
MYSELF AND MY WIFE ARE INTERESTED IN THE BEARDED COLLIE AND WOULD LIKE TO CONTACT ANY BREADER,S IN THE SOUTH YORKSHIRE

AREA SO THAT WE CAN CALL AND VIEW AND GAIN MORE INFOMATION REGARDING THE NEED,S ETC.OF A PUP.

PLEASE CONTACT ME AT

MICHEAL.MALONEY1@VIRGIN.NET
By Sharon McCrea [gb] Date 26.08.02 13:14 GMT
Michael are you interested in a show beardie, or the working type? If its the latter, Phil and I can help. Be warned – they can be a handful, but equally rewarding!!!!!
By Brainless (*****) [gb] Date 26.08.02 13:36 GMT
Sharon tell me what are these working Beardies, and how do they differ from the show ones other than in glamour. Do they have differnet size, conformation etc?. I take it you do not mean just unregistered stock, but lines that are not in the KC recogised stock.
Barbara and the Grey Curly Tails.
By Sharon McCrea [gb] Date 26.08.02 13:54 GMT
Brainless, yes, in ways resemble working borderless more, but bit are a bit more 'sharp', and are much more inclined to guard. Although they were used to herd sheep and still are, they are basically cattle dogs, ands so ‘harder’.
By cooper (**) [gb] Date 27.08.02 09:50 GMT
hi, i can attest for the working dogs being a bit more sharp.a friend of mine has one (from a stud that worked in skye).the dog is good mannered but serious from a puppy with the constitution of an elephant.he is a bit more on the leg than most show dogs i have seen but they come all shapes and sizes as they were not bred to look at just graft.also seen many crossed and they make excellent lurchers when bred to greyhounds.i do know some people like 1/8 border in there working beardies to calm them down a bit but my friends is pure and seems stable enough but i would not like to be something that crossed him he is a very powerful dog.
By philippa [gb] Date 27.08.02 10:50 GMT
Hi cooper, nice to meet somebody who has met one :-) We have the two working beardies, and also Lurchers. The Lurcher pup has a greyhound mother and the sire is a beardiex border. Another of the Lurchers is a straight Greyhound xBeardie. It is my intention to mate the beardie pup (when he is old enough :-)) to these two lurchers and a greyhound bitch, to help keep alive the old Norfolk type lurcher. Hopefully after a few generations a type will start to emerge and the old fashioned look of the Norfolk lurcher will be around again. The beardies are wondeful loyal dogs, but MUST be trained right from the very beginning as they are just soooo intelligent and get bored very easily. I would not recommend them for a first time dog owner,as if not trained thoroughly can be very pushy.
By cooper (**) [gb] Date 28.08.02 07:20 GMT
hi philippa,agree with just about everything you say here.within 100 yards of my house are 2 straight beardie x greyhound crosses,1 3/4 beardie 1/4 greyhound and the pure beardie.i believe the lurchers all came from mr d hancock and all are highly prized by there owners.the beardie came from another local breeder whose name i forget for the moment but i do know the sire is a dog named pringles bob, i have a photo of the dog as a pup and he looks just like a show beardie but as an adult you could not mistake them.i believe there are a couple of registrys for working beardies one run by mr nicholson and another which advocates a little border blood but nice to see there are a few keeping this breed going.
By philippa [gb] Date 28.08.02 07:31 GMT
Hi again cooper, Two of our Lurchers came from David Hancock, a very knowledgeable Lurcher man, who has been a great help with advice for our breeding programme. Our working Beardies came from Brian Plummer, who has become my mentor for these dogs, he is a mine of information with a memory for the breed history second to none. Mr Nicholson lives within a stones throw from me, but sadly does not want to become part of the "team" keeping these dogs going. I am sure he must have his reasons!!! Would you like to see some pictures of our Lurchers and Beardies?
By cooper (**) [gb] Date 28.08.02 10:43 GMT
phillipa would love to see some photos please e mail them to ridz@btinternet.com .mr plummer i believe owns bob the sire of my mates dog which came from skye i believe.graham nicholson was fighting cancer last i heard so maybe dogs are not the top priority at the moment.also if you have any breeding info on the dogs i would appreciate it,they may be related closely to my friends dogs as mr hancock never did that many breedings with the beardies...i will see my mate and try and get some pics and stuff for you if you would like.
By philippa [gb] Date 26.08.02 13:58 GMT
Hi Brainless, The working beardie looks very similar to a show beardie as a young puppy, but after that the likeness ends. They have a different head shape, tail carriage and coat type, and a different temprement too.
Once they have lost their puppy coat, the coat changes colour and assumes the appearance of a coconut mat. There are not many of them around nowadays, they are mainly kept in the Scottish Highlands and are used for herding sheep and cattle. They are sometimes used as a cross for lurchers, and they can be very pushy and determined. They have much heavier bone to the show beardie and are shorter in the back. Their history can be traced back hundreds of years to when Scotland traded with Poland. The Scottish herding dogs were having no success herding the black faced sheep up the swaying gangplanks of the ships, and the Polish sailors produced a pair of" working beardies" who did the job with no problem. Eventually the sheep were swapped for the two dogs and the original working beardie entered the British Isles. They have been outcrossed quite a few times, and were basically kept actively breeding bya man called Tom Muirhead, whose aim was to breed them slightly shorter on the leg than the original beardies, so that when cows and bulls kicked, the blow went over the dogs head, rather than landing on them. They are tenacious workers, extremely clever and intelligent, but not really suitable for first time dog owners. They, as adults are very loyal and loving to people they know, but would give their lives for you, if you were ever attacked. The gentleman who Sharon and I got ours from, stated that if he were a burgular, he would rather face an annoyed GSD then an annoyed working beardie. If you would like to see two of them, I have some pictures of our pup and older bitch on the cleo and solo sight. If you would like further information, please let me know.
By Cava14Una (***) [gb] Date 26.08.02 15:13 GMT
What do you mean by changes colour and assumes the appearance of a coconut mat? Where can I find pictures of them Anne
Anne in Scotland with Beardies and 2 blooming cheeky black and white cats
By philippa [gb] Date 26.08.02 15:22 GMT
Hi cava, Changes colour.....my pup was a def. red and white when young. He is now about 41/2 months old, has changed most of his coat, and is now a pinky beige and white. This is the colour that all red and white working beardies go. The adult coat looks very coarse, although it isnt, grows to about 4 ins in length and has crinkly waves in it, from a distance it looks like a cocnut mat.

URL Snipped
By Brainless (*****) [gb] Date 26.08.02 23:32 GMT
As I am 3/4 of polish ancestry I find this interesting. I wonder what the ancestry of the Polish dogs could have been, as at first I thought6 Polish Lowland, but the temperament of these is so different, as well as size.

Can you email me a piccie, as I don't know how to get onto that photo site.
Barbara and the Grey Curly Tails.
By philippa [gb] Date 27.08.02 06:29 GMT
Hi Brainless, They are on their way :-)
By eoghania [de] Date 29.08.02 07:15 GMT
Philippa,
Is the Beardie then considered still the same dog as the Polish Olywizkawa (sp?)? Are they any relation to Rough/smooth collie breeds? Or did it just get called a "collie" because of regional terms for a herding dog?
If that's the case, I'm surprised that it's just not known as a "Bearded" or Beardie...similar to the Brittany now. (as in being separated from Spaniels grouping) Hmm. Interesting :-)
toodles cool
By philippa [gb] Date 29.08.02 08:07 GMT
Hi Toodles, the Polish Olywizkawa(sp? me too) is thought to have been in their ancestory, but to the best of my knowledge hasnt been used for many years. There are assorted types of working bearded, as only a few are bred to keep a type going, which is what Sharon and I are hoping to do. Brian Plummer has had them for many years and breeds a working beardie with a particular look, whereas the Scottish shepherds have added a dash of " this and that" along the way. Our older bitch came to us straight from working sheep on the hills, but she was bred by Brian in the first place, so is related to Kai our puppy. They are not really related to the rough/smooth collie, but years ago many of them carried Border collie blood. When we are talking about them between ourselves, they are refered to as "Beardies" but when talking about them to other people, we add the "working" in front, as folk think we are talking about the show type bearded collie. There is an amazing colour in the breed that crops up from time to time, its called a sepia merle. The pups start off with a brown, white and red coat. As they change to an adult coat, the colours all blend together and the dog actaully finishes up pink!!! If you would like to see some pictures, I will e mail you some. :D
By eoghania [de] Date 29.08.02 12:55 GMT
I'd love some picts.... just send them to:
eoghania@yahoo.com

Not that difficult to remember, eh? ;-) It's not that I'm unsociable. I just find that too many automated programs love to "read" member files or however they do it...and I have quite enough spam to deal with already thank you. So I don't keep my email addy open for them to grab. Just call me paranoid. It's perfectly ok ;-) :D
Sara
By Leigh [gb] Date 29.08.02 13:44 GMT
Sara, tip ... try writing your email as .. eoghania(at)yahoo.com ;-)
Previous Next Up Topic Dog Boards / Visitors Questions / INTERESTED IN BEARDED COLLIE,S
About Us - Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy