Champdogs Information Exchange - Not logged in
Forum Board Index Breeders Active Topics Help Search Register Login
Previous Next Up Topic Dog Boards / General / Improving Pigment ??
By Sedona (*) [gb] Date 12.02.10 21:48 GMT
Is there anything I can do to improve pigment ? I have a white puppy and although she has a black nose and should have black eye rims she has pigment missing around one of her eyes ? I have seen products which claim to improve pigment but wondered if anyone has any suggestions ?
The more people I meet the more I love my dogs!!
By Jeangenie (*****) [gb] Date 12.02.10 22:16 GMT
How old is she? I have a breed where pigmented eyerims are important for showing, and if the pigment isn't nearly complete by 8 weeks then it will never come complete. If it's missing entirely round one eye at that age then it always will be.
A closed mouth gathers no feet
By Sawheaties (***) [gb] Date 12.02.10 22:20 GMT
I add spinach and liver to my diet occasionally.
I used to use Pygmalion but you had to remember to soak it for hours before adding it to the food and it is small  berries so I often found they spat them out.

I now use Elerberry & Nettle extract from Dorwest Herbs which I am more than happy with.

Should add that I only use this when it looks like "winter nose" might crop up.
Karen
By STARRYEYES (****) [gb] Date 13.02.10 00:02 GMT
elderberry and nettle fan here too but dont expect it to work overnight it can take a few months but does return it is common for some bitches to loose some pigment before or after a season.
Faithful and true to the last beat of his heart.
By perrodeagua (****) [gb] Date 13.02.10 09:17 GMT
What breed?
If I wanted a Poodle, OES, TT or IWS I would have bought one. SWD's shd. be natural and rustic. No
By Sedona (*) [gb] Date 13.02.10 09:46 GMT
She is a gorgeous 6 month old Maltese puppy , one eye rim is completely black, the other has some pigment on the bottom eye rim but on the top eye rim half of it is missing! Just wondering if it could still come and obviously can't enter her for any shows unless it does!! So dissapointing, but I will order some of the stuff from Dorwest and give it a go...thanks!
The more people I meet the more I love my dogs!!
By tooolz (***) [gb] Date 13.02.10 10:22 GMT
Considering her breed, I doubt whether a product which is said to darken pigment - would actually create pigment.

I think it will be a 'wait and see' job with this little one as black eyerims are a must.
Have you asked her breeder what the chances are?
By perrodeagua (****) [gb] Date 13.02.10 10:32 GMT
Would think it's a bit late with that breed, saying that one of my Spanish was 18 months before all of her pigment came through on her nose.
If I wanted a Poodle, OES, TT or IWS I would have bought one. SWD's shd. be natural and rustic. No
By rocknrose (**) [gb] Date 13.02.10 18:18 GMT
Isn't kelp/seaweed supposed to be good for pigment,
By kayenine (**) [gb] Date 13.02.10 22:24 GMT

> Would think it's a bit late with that breed, saying that one of my Spanish was 18 months before all of her pigment came through on her nose.

my blue merle border collie was still developing nose pigment at 12 years :-D
Previous Next Up Topic Dog Boards / General / Improving Pigment ??
About Us - Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy