Champdogs Information Exchange - Not logged in
Forum Board Index Breeders Active Topics Help Search Register Login
Previous Next Up Topic Dog Boards / General / Head 'Splitting'
By BarkingMad16 (**) [gb] Date 15.02.10 18:40 GMT
Knowledge please! A lady commented on how pretty my rotty bitch pup was the other day and followed it up with 'has her head split yet' Well, this is a new one to me, to be honest I had heard some staffy owners mention it in the park ( I was eves dropping!) They were blaming their dogs chewing on the fact it was when their heads/skulls were splitting.  Having ever only owned GSD's this has never been a subject I have any knowledge on.

Is this a myth or does it happen - I feel a little stupid because I just assumed it was an old wives tale so please enlighten me!!!
My best friends, Oscar, Asha and Indie
By chelzeagirl (***) [gb] Date 15.02.10 19:23 GMT
so funny how you say this, i bumped into someone the otherday who i havent seen for ages and they have a rottie last time i see them she would have been around 8 months old now shes almost 2 years and when i said wow how big she's grown and looking great (as you do)the husband said the same thing to me about his own dog, saying her head has not split yet and he dont think it will now,
i have no idea if the head splits or not i would say NO, BUT then thats more because i to have heard of youths with staffs saying the same and even saying that if they smash their dogs over the head with a pole this will help split the head, utter stupid , so id rather tell people its a myth or if something does happen to widen the head then lets rename it so people like the idiots out their dont think that split head means actully that,
I love dogs...it's humans that annoy me
By MsTemeraire (***) [gb] Date 15.02.10 19:28 GMT

> i have no idea if the head splits or not i would say NO, BUT then thats more because i to have heard of youths with staffs saying the same and even saying that if they smash their dogs over the head with a pole this will help split the head

They do?????????
Good god, if only the dogs were capable of wielding the poles, a few fatally split human heads wouldn't go amiss.
Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative.
By chelzeagirl (***) [gb] Date 15.02.10 19:40 GMT
do they really?, well ok but i really dont like the way its said as it does give fools with dogs ideas so i always say its a myth and that the way to big up your dogs head is a nice marrow bone a week and let them work their head mussles, i hate the way the kids use the words my dogs head aint split wot can i do , 

i caught a boy outside cross the road from my house the otherday kicking his poor staffy in the tummy i yelled at him and was told that it was only wot he see that dog whisper doing on tv (dam you to hell CM )  do you see what i mean the world is full of idiots like this and some of them sadly have dogs,
I love dogs...it's humans that annoy me
By Tigger2 (***) [gb] Date 15.02.10 19:51 GMT
I've heard the phrase before, I was sitting next to a boxer exhibitor at ringcraft once who had a 5 month old dog pup. The exhibitor was a successful one and said he was a promising pup, but wouldn't be shown until his head split. His head was (I thought) quite narrow for the breed. The next time I saw the pup (several months later) he had developed the typical boxer head.
By BarkingMad16 (**) [gb] Date 15.02.10 20:13 GMT
So, do we know if the skull actually does part then? I'm glad I'm not the only one who has heard this - thought I was going mad as I consider myself quite knowledgeble and really did not know if this was for real!
By Noora (***) [gb] Date 15.02.10 20:23 GMT Edited 15.02.10 20:26 GMT
I think it is only a term used for head widening and maturing?
In my own language we just use head to mature for what in england is often referred as head splitting...
Could it be the muscle growth giving an appearance of split?(just a wild guess, by the way :-))
By Karen1 (**) [gb] Date 15.02.10 20:25 GMT Edited 15.02.10 20:28 GMT

> So, do we know if the skull actually does part then? I'm glad I'm not the only one who has heard this - thought I was going mad as I consider myself quite knowledgeble and really did not know if this was for real!

No the skull doesn't part or split.

Staffords have almost a "m" shaped top of their head which is normal and I believe it's the muscles that become more pronounced as the dog grows up. Hitting a dog on the head won't make any difference. It shows the stupidity and cruelty of some staffie owners who believe it and attack their own pets. :-(

PS: I'm not suggesting you're stupid to ask the question, but it would be stupid to believe it and start whacking your dog on the head without checking first.
By BarkingMad16 (**) [gb] Date 15.02.10 20:43 GMT
but it would be stupid to believe it and start whacking your dog on the head without checking first.

There is no way I would whack my dog over the head..... EVER!! This was not what I was trying to find out, I didn't even know that people did that anyway, altho really doesnt suprise me with what some people do these days.

Just to make it clear to all - I would never hit my dog on the head. Please read the original post.
By BarkingMad16 (**) [gb] Date 15.02.10 20:45 GMT
Sorry for the text in my last post - its gone a bit weird and I can't undo it.
By Tanya1989 (***) [gb] Date 15.02.10 20:48 GMT
ive heard the term used amongst bull dog breeders. i took it to mean the maturing of the head, like noora says, the widening and development of skull and muscles
Tanya <3 Leonbergers
By Tadsy (**) [gb] Date 15.02.10 20:53 GMT
It was commonly used in the Bullmastiff world when I showed my boy - about 18 years ago.
By ChristineW (***) [gb] Date 15.02.10 21:15 GMT
I am more familiar with the term 'his/her head is needing to break' meaning it's needing to broaden & mature.
By Goldmali (****) [gb] Date 15.02.10 21:26 GMT
Same here, in Papillons you talk about the head breaking.
Marianne. Dogs are not our whole lives, there are cats too!
By LucyDogs (****) [gb] Date 16.02.10 11:52 GMT
I've never heard either those terms - sounds a bit of an unfortunate use of words with all the idiots out there!
By Dizzystaffords (*) [gb] Date 16.02.10 14:26 GMT
I always thought the term 'head splitting' just meant their head is developing the deep line down their forehead as their skull grows out creating the rock hard skull the stafford is known for?
They dont have it at all when puppies and it gets more pronounced and deeper as they get more mature?

Never heard of ways to increase or 'hurry' it on, wouldnt want to either TBH!!

We have 1 x stafford who is pedigree of 2 yrs and he is developing this very nice deep skull shape, where our staff x doesnt have it at all, maybe cause she isnt a purebreed?
Staffords make you dizzy!
By Staff (**) [gb] Date 16.02.10 21:32 GMT
No the dogs head does not split at all.  I own and show my Rotts and also own a Staffie.  To be honest the term within the breed that would be most commonly used is the head 'spreading' or just 'maturing'.

I find that their head will have fully spread by the age of 3.  It is just the dog maturing up, same as the body seems to widen etc.
By Tessies Tracey (***) [au] Date 16.02.10 22:17 GMT
Agggggggghhhhhhhh.... I have to say this is one of my pet peeves.

So many people have asked me if my dog's heads have 'split' yet, one was even a Stafford owner himself!  He even said you can hear it cracking if you listen closely enough.  Give me strength!!
My answer tends to me 'no and I hope it doesn't, because it would leave rather a mess everywhere'.

Staffords heads don't split. 
The muscles either side of the head (and skeletal structure) will of course grow and mature, and as the SBT often has a wide skull, then the appearance often gives the illusion of the head widening, but definitely no splitting.
By BarkingMad16 (**) [gb] Date 17.02.10 21:09 GMT
Well, at least now I know what to say if I get asked the question again! Thanks everyone. :-)
By ali-t (***) [gb] Date 17.02.10 21:11 GMT

> He even said you can hear it cracking if you listen closely enough.

It was like chickens hatching out their eggs in my house when my staffy's head split - not!  I am just waiting for my rott's head to go, imagine the noise that one will make.  ROFL
The artist formerly known as cheekychow! - with a staffy and a rottie not a chow, but very cheeky!
By MsTemeraire (***) [gb] Date 17.02.10 21:16 GMT

> It was like chickens hatching out their eggs in my house when my staffy's head split - not!  I am just waiting for my rott's head to go, imagine the noise that one will make.  ROFL

I am still a bit gobsmacked that certain yoofs might think bashing a dog over the head will hasten the hatching.....! lol
Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative.
By molezak (**) [gb] Date 18.02.10 10:17 GMT
In our breed (not bull breed) we refer to 'the head breaking' frequently, not heard head splitting before.
If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
By DerbyMerc (*) [gb] Date 20.02.10 23:13 GMT
The other one you hear is that Staffies can lock their jaws.
By lel (****) [gb] Date 21.02.10 17:47 GMT

>>> Agggggggghhhhhhhh.... I have to say this is one of my pet peeves.

So many people have asked me if my dog's heads have 'split' yet, one was even a Stafford owner himself!  He even said you can hear it cracking if you listen closely enough.  Give me strength!!
My answer tends to me 'no and I hope it doesn't, because it would leave rather a mess everywhere'.

Staffords heads don't split. 
The muscles either side of the head (and skeletal structure) will of course grow and mature, and as the SBT often has a wide skull, then the appearance often gives the illusion of the head widening, but definitely no splitting.<<<<

ROFL That old chestnut is almost on a par with .... if a dog eats raw meat it gets the taste for it and turns into a killer lol lol
Previous Next Up Topic Dog Boards / General / Head 'Splitting'
About Us - Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy