Champdogs Information Exchange - Not logged in
Forum Board Index Breeders Active Topics Help Search Register Login
Previous Next Up Topic Dog Boards / General / What Age To Microchip Litter?
By denese (***) [gb] Date 09.03.10 11:15 GMT
If you had your puppies microchipped before leaving, also entered on there KC papers. How young do you think is exceptable?
Mine have been done at there second vaccination approx. 12weeks.
I would like your opinion!!

Denese
By Goldmali (****) [gb] Date 09.03.10 11:42 GMT
Depends on the breed! :-) I do Malinois at 6 weeks and they are well and truly big enough then. Papillons and kittens I do at around 10 weeks. I don't like having it done at the same time as vaccination, it's too much in one go.
Marianne. Dogs are not our whole lives, there are cats too!
By annastasia (**) [gb] Date 09.03.10 11:44 GMT
7 weeks we do our GSD litters, never had a problem
Paris,Leon (R I P),Anni,Balko,Bekki,Gigi,Lardo (RIP)Gabi,Indi,Lauri (RIP),Maddi,Mikey
By Brainless (*****) [gb] Date 09.03.10 12:37 GMT
The youngest I had done at the same time as tattooed at 7 Weeks and it was fine, prior to that the youngest I had them done was 12 weeks with Rabies Vaccination for Pet Passport.
Barbara and the Grey Curly Tails.
By Carrington (****) [gb] Date 09.03.10 12:56 GMT
6 weeks would be the absolute earliest for me. And much prefer to do it with the last inoculation. There really is no rush to microchip beforehand to include on the litter registration as when the transfer of ownership is done, the new owners will include the microchip details on the KC paper transfer then.  :-)  Of course if you can microchip or tattoo on the premises that is a bonus, then you just have to hope delays don't hold up the paperwork for collection time.
By ANNM172 (**) [gb] Date 09.03.10 13:17 GMT
My vet won't chip a Papillon before 12 weeks and if he can prefers to wait until he invariably sees them at 5 months to remove a stubborn baby canine tooth (All of mine have had to have a tooth removed)

The pups I have bought have never had their innoculations and I have had them done here when they have arrived. To be honest I like that and then I am confident everything has been done.
Ann Marie
By Goldmali (****) [gb] Date 09.03.10 14:43 GMT
if he can prefers to wait until he invariably sees them at 5 months to remove a stubborn baby canine tooth

I'd never dare to do that, especially with a breed so attractive to thieves -they're unprotected in that sense for 5 months? It would freak me out.
By ANNM172 (**) [gb] Date 09.03.10 15:02 GMT
I never gave it a thought to be honest as they are only ever out with me. Never unattended- At a show there is always soemone to keep an eye out. They live indoors so not really accessible to theives except of course in case of a break in but dna profile would also prove ownership. My vet prefers them to be a liitle larger for chip and I have followed his advice.
Ann Marie
By Goldmali (****) [gb] Date 09.03.10 15:19 GMT
Not even in your garden?
By Kasshyk (**) [gb] Date 09.03.10 15:20 GMT
or even in your house?
By ANNM172 (**) [gb] Date 09.03.10 15:21 GMT

> a breed so attractive to thieves

I am really worried now as had never for one minute imagined my dogs to be attractive to theives. I have never given any thought to anyone stealing dogs or anything for that matter. Not worried about chipping just worried now they could be stolen at any point. Not a nice thought...
Ann Marie
By ANNM172 (**) [gb] Date 09.03.10 15:23 GMT
They are not usually alone in the garden as there is always someone gardening or teenage daughter escaping housework by reading a book in the garden. Yes they are often left in the house and maybe I am naive in thinking it's a good area but you can't stay in 24/7.
Ann Marie
By Goldmali (****) [gb] Date 09.03.10 15:33 GMT
Only reason I'm asking is a friend of mine had a Pap stolen out of her back garden -it was a question of minutes, one person knocked at the door as a distraction, another stole the dog. You may have heard the story, it was in the dog papers, she actually got him back after one year when he was scanned for his chip at a vet's and it came up as the dog having been listed as stolen, after an old lady had bought him in good faith.
By ANNM172 (**) [gb] Date 09.03.10 15:38 GMT
That's awful-I'm glad she got him back.
Last pup was chipped at 12 week injection but vet found it hard and recommended this time I leave it a while longer till pup was a bit bigger which I did- might go back to 12 weeks now though. I also DNA profile but to be honest if someone is going to steal them our chips and DNA won.'t stop them although I know they might help get them back
Ann Marie
By klb (**) [gb] Date 09.03.10 15:51 GMT
I do mine at 6 weeks and then update their record on KC online system before new owners pick up the pups, as I dock my pups I need to microchip for docking paperwork and have not had any problems with chipping at all.

K
By JeanSW (****) [gb] Date 09.03.10 16:21 GMT

> My vet won't chip a Papillon before 12 weeks and if he can prefers to wait until he invariably sees them at 5 months to remove a stubborn baby canine tooth (All of mine have had to have a tooth removed)
>
> The pups I have bought have never had their innoculations and I have had them done here when they have arrived. To be honest I like that and then I am confident everything has been done.

Exactly the same as you.  My vet always says that he doesn't want a tiny tot to have a bad experience with the chip being inserted.  He doesn't like them to end up hating the vets!  :-)

With Chihuahuas, I pay for chipping at the same time as vaccinations, and he does me a good offer, only 7 for the microchip.  When he does their free puppy health check ( same as you with teeth), I have the microchipping done then.
The hurrier I go - the behinder I get!
By ANNM172 (**) [gb] Date 09.03.10 16:25 GMT
I also pay for the chip at time of vaccination as only 5 if done that way although not inserted then
Ann Marie
By Brainless (*****) [gb] Date 09.03.10 16:38 GMT

> There really is no rush to microchip beforehand to include on the litter registration as when the transfer of ownership is done, the new owners will include the microchip details on the KC paper transfer then. 

Thing is going by my own expereicne with soem 40 dogs still in my name, many new owners don't bother transferign ownership, and of thsoe who do how many will rtember to add chip or tattoo details?

Best to do this while pups are still in breeders name.
By Goldmali (****) [gb] Date 09.03.10 19:04 GMT
My vet always says that he doesn't want a tiny tot to have a bad experience with the chip being inserted.  He doesn't like them to end up hating the vets!  :-)

Another good reason to do it yourself at home. :-) They can go straight back to mum afterwards and hardly even notice.
By Floradora (**) [gb] Date 09.03.10 19:16 GMT
Brainless, what I have done with my last 2 litters is to ask the new owners to bring a cheque made payable to the Kennel Club for 12 and explain that I send the KC documents en-masse to change them into their name. We then sit and do these together on pick up day and I post all of the docs off together. Has worked really well and no quibbles with any of the owners over it.
A Golden is born half trained, a springer dies half trained. Where are my running shoes ???
By tooolz (***) [gb] Date 09.03.10 21:21 GMT
I chip Cavaliers at approx 12 weeks.
By ANNM172 (**) [gb] Date 10.03.10 07:49 GMT

> many new owners don't bother transferign ownership, and of thsoe who do how many will rtember to add chip or tattoo details?
>

Thanks Brainless I dug out my paperwork to check this today and as Tuppence was registered very early as born here I have not included her chip no on the breeder registration certificate. It is logged with locate and local vets though.

I will ring Kennel Club at 9am and update- Oops- worth a check if anyone is unsure
Ann Marie
By Brainless (*****) [gb] Date 10.03.10 09:54 GMT
You can update on-line if you have signed up for on-line registration.
By ANNM172 (**) [gb] Date 10.03.10 10:11 GMT
Thanks I called them first thing- It's a very easy thing to miss
Ann Marie
Previous Next Up Topic Dog Boards / General / What Age To Microchip Litter?
About Us - Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy