Champdogs Information Exchange - Not logged in
Forum Board Index Breeders Active Topics Help Search Register Login
Previous Next Up Topic Dog Boards / Breeding / Free puppy Insurance
By jennyb59 (**) [gb] Date 06.07.10 20:05 GMT
Hi
Does everyone know that the KC have stopped offering the 4 weeks free puppy insurance to everyone, it now only applies if you are an accredited breeder....It also seems that Pet Plan have done the same and only offer it if you are a breeder club member or if you have your dog insured with them..(Not sure on that last bit until I check by phone tomorrow).

Shame on the KC, does that mean we get a discount for registering a puppy with them if we are not accredited breeders, i dont want to be an accredited breeder I do far more than they deem necessary and when they are still making people who have never bred a litter accredited, how much sense does that make, accredited at what if they have never bred....2 recently in my breed who are now accredited yet had never bred anything...!!!!..
When they sort themselves out and make sure that all the health tests are done and dont register the litters as accredited when they havent done all the required tests, then I may consider it.....
Anyway anyone know of good free puppy insurance anywhere ?????
We all take the best dog home.....
By gwen (***) [gb] Date 06.07.10 20:09 GMT
I havent heard anything from Petplan about any changes - last communicatons from them were the email newletter a week or two ago, and a card about the Junior Stakes, and giving a voucher for a drink at various shows holding Stakes heats.  Woudl have thougth they woudl at least e-mail if they were making radical changes, after all.
By Emily Rose (***) [gb] Date 06.07.10 20:18 GMT
At work we offer all puppies and kitten over 6 week and under one year 4 weeks free insurance with PetPlan. All owners have to do is sign to say they are over 18.

Lots of vets offer a similar policy :-)
Emily..in the Land of the Prince Bishops!
And the Yorkshire Hyper Hungarians
By Trialist (***) [gb] Date 06.07.10 20:31 GMT
still making people who have never bred a litter accredited, how much sense does that make, accredited at what if they have never bred..

No they're not. If you have not bred a litter then your status is pending until a litter registration is received. I have to say though, 'some' people who have never bred a litter are a whole lot better than 'some' who have - I do include myself in that! 'Cept my litter has now hit the deck :-) 

Not sure on the insurance side though, but I was thinking of contacting some of the brokers to see what they offered in terms of free puppy insurance. Anyone know of the uptake of these free insurances?
"How many"?!
By satincollie (Moderator) [gb] Date 06.07.10 20:34 GMT
Having just issued petplan puppy policies( the last one being last Wednesday) I haven't found any changes.
Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog- Franklin P. Jones
Gill :-D
By Trialist (***) [gb] Date 06.07.10 20:37 GMT
How do you get hold of them? Is it just a case of ringing up Pet Plan?
"How many"?!
By satincollie (Moderator) [gb] Date 06.07.10 20:39 GMT
Either phone or Onlinehttp://www.petplanbreeder.co.uk/
Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog- Franklin P. Jones
Gill :-D
By Goldmali (****) [gb] Date 06.07.10 21:04 GMT
I have recently sold kittens insured with PetPlan, no changes there -if they made changes to puppies they'd do it to kittens as well. However when I bought a puppy I did NOT get any KC insurance this time, just a letter offering to sell me it.
Marianne. Dogs are not our whole lives, there are cats too!
By Trialist (***) [gb] Date 06.07.10 21:14 GMT
Thank you :-)
"How many"?!
By Sedona (*) [gb] Date 06.07.10 21:20 GMT
I had a phone call from Petplan yesterday the lady asked if I would mind answering a few questions about the puppy policies. I was asked to give a score between 1 to 10 on the service offered and whether I prefered to activate the policy online or by phone...there was no mention of them being stopped.
The more people I meet the more I love my dogs!!
By JeanSW (****) [gb] Date 06.07.10 21:26 GMT

> However when I bought a puppy I did NOT get any KC insurance this time, just a letter offering to sell me it.

I was amazed when I received just that with my registration paperwork.  I was so embarrassed to tell people that there is no longer any KC free cover.  I did phone the Kennel Club and told them it was a step backwards in my book, but they didn't seem interested.

I have used Petplan cover for years, and the only downside I had come across was when they changed the free cover from 6 weeks to 4 weeks.  However, the last pup that left me, I found that you can no longer telephone to activate whenever you want.  Not everyone wants to activate online, and I have always phoned while the new owners were here waiting to take pup home.

Now, if it isn't in "normal" office hours you get a recording.  Another step backwards.  :-(
The hurrier I go - the behinder I get!
By jennyb59 (**) [gb] Date 06.07.10 21:28 GMT
Oh good will try Pet plan tomorrow then....they told someone the above on the phone today......
As for pending when becoming an accredited breeder where does it state that....both the ones in my breed didnt have/dont have pending against them////both listed as normal on the KC site....
By kayc (****) [gb] Date 06.07.10 22:29 GMT
I activated a puppy cover with Pet Plan over the phone on Saturday, no problems.
Kay (Never under-estimate the power of stupid people in large groups) ;-)
By Goldmali (****) [gb] Date 06.07.10 23:04 GMT
Jean are you sure you used the right PetPlan number? I had a kitten go on a weekend recently (a Sunday) and the online registration service refused to accept the address, so we had to do it over the phone. At first we got a recorded message saying it was office hours only, then I looked closer at my details and found we had used the wrong number and the correct one did answer.
Marianne. Dogs are not our whole lives, there are cats too!
By Ells-Bells (***) [gb] Date 07.07.10 04:38 GMT
I recently tried to use the on line service the day before my pups went.  The first one was refused saying incorrect postcode - so I checked with Royal Mail and it was right.  Wasn't sure what to do so tried the others and they were fine, then went back to original one and it was accepted!  Computer blip yet again no doubt.
By JeanSW (****) [gb] Date 07.07.10 07:09 GMT

> Jean are you sure you used the right PetPlan number?

Thanks Marianne.  I will check!
The hurrier I go - the behinder I get!
By cracar (***) [gb] Date 07.07.10 07:43 GMT
My pup got a voucher for the KC insurance but when I registered her on-line, I couldn't find the bit to activate the free trial.  But when I took her to my vets for her check and vaccs, they insured her for 4 weeks with petplan.  I love petplan, they are a bit expensive but they never let you down.  Tesco is cheap but they only insure on a year to year basis but for basic cover, it's better than nothing!
By kayc (****) [gb] Date 07.07.10 11:41 GMT
Got more cover notes through this morning, and no change to Pet plan.. activate by phone or online

The KC has changed, a new puppy owner can no longer activate a 4 week free insurance cover, BUT, If/When they purchase KC insurance, the owner will get his 15 registration fee refunded

This used to go to the breeder when new owner continued with annual cover, which was few and far between.. I think I only ever received 2 cheques back from the KC

I wonder if KC have changed this because they were getting very little business through the insurance side of things.. and are now giving the new owner an incentive..
By Blue (****) [gb] Date 07.07.10 11:54 GMT
I thought you had to be a breeder member with Petplan anyway to use it in the first place.

I am same as Gwen no updates given to me and I activate one policy on Sunday.
By Blue (****) [gb] Date 07.07.10 11:55 GMT
Ditto , no changes mentioned. I think the OP has it wrong with Petplan TBH.
By kayc (****) [gb] Date 07.07.10 12:33 GMT

> I thought you had to be a breeder member with Petplan anyway to use it in the first place.
>

you are correct Blue, you do need to be a breeder member with Petplan, but that has not changed, you have always had to be a breeder member... when you phone to activate cover on a pup, the 1st things they ask for is your breeder membership no.
By PennyGC (***) [gb] Date 07.07.10 14:17 GMT
Thanks for this, I hadn't heard.  I have no desire at the moment to be an accredited breeder so have signed up with petplan - I think their insurance is more reasonable then the KC anyway... KC are shooting themselves in the foot, again!
Agility is fun
By perrodeagua (****) [gb] Date 07.07.10 14:57 GMT
I was told a number of months ago that it had stopped via the KC so don't think the poster has got it wrong???  Maybe one rule for one and another for others?
If I wanted a Poodle, OES, TT or IWS I would have bought one. SWD's shd. be natural and rustic. No
By jennyb59 (**) [gb] Date 08.07.10 18:22 GMT
Yes it seems the wrong info was given via the telephone to my friend when she enquired re the Pet Plan insurance, she was told that she had to have her dogs insured with them to go onto the breeders ...she phoned them again after I said what all you lovely people on here had said and was told differently and will now go into the breeders club, as will I....

So pet plan it is then breeders club = 4 weeks free insurance
KC...only free insurance if an accredited breeder.....

Thanks folks.....
By Brainless (*****) [gb] Date 09.07.10 09:35 GMT Edited 09.07.10 09:46 GMT
I don't think that is right.  With my litter registrations I received two puppy Insurance voucher books, one for accredited breeders and one for not.  haven't read up on the differences though.

As for Petplan have had nothing, but looking at their puppy register there are plenty of litters there that I doubt are KC AB status, some not even KC registered.
Barbara and the Grey Curly Tails.
By Brainless (*****) [gb] Date 09.07.10 09:46 GMT

> I was told a number of months ago that it had stopped via the KC so don't think the poster has got it wrong???  Maybe one rule for one and another for others?

I can't see how this can be, my litter were only registered in May, and have just gone to new homes over the last week or two, and all had KC and Pet Plan cover notes (up to owners to see which if any they wish to continue with).
Barbara and the Grey Curly Tails.
By SharonM (***) [gb] Date 10.07.10 09:03 GMT
Had my litter registration papers through today and NO free insurance, just  a voucher which entitles the new owner to:-

*  An introductory saving on a NEW Kennel Club Healthcare Plan policy
*  A refund of the transfer of registered ownership fee when they take out insurance

So it does look like they've stopped giving out the free 6 weeks insurance
Life is too short to worry about muddy pawprints.....
By PennyGC (***) [gb] Date 11.07.10 23:09 GMT
Thanks for this info - I've now signed up with Petplan and think that puppy buyers would probably prefer this anyway as the KC one is quite expensive.  My pack arrived today and an advantage is that it's not just KC reg litters :-)  So for me this is so much better :-)
Agility is fun
By toffeecrisp (**) [gb] Date 12.07.10 21:18 GMT Edited 12.07.10 21:21 GMT
The KC only do the Insurance for the AB unfortunatly.
My litter are KC Reg, Im just not an AB.
I signed up with PetPlan and all the new owners have carried it on.
Its really to do and no hassle.

That should have read..its really easy to do and no hassle
Previous Next Up Topic Dog Boards / Breeding / Free puppy Insurance
About Us - Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy