Champdogs Information Exchange - Not logged in
Forum Board Index Breeders Active Topics Help Search Register Login
Previous Next Up Topic Dog Boards / Breeding / bitch with diarrhoea 5 days post whelping
By mussycat [gb] Date 13.12.10 23:20 GMT
its day 5 after whelping my bitch still has diarroea should i be concern
By JeanSW (****) [gb] Date 13.12.10 23:34 GMT
If she ate all the placentas it is likely.  I once had a bitch like this for far too long after whelping, enough for me to take her to the vet.  No tablets given, but advised to give her Protexin, which is something I keep in stock anyway.  It was perfectly safe to give while she was feeding pups.  She was given it 3 times a day until things settled down.
The hurrier I go - the behinder I get!
By Zebedee (**) [gb] Date 13.12.10 23:46 GMT
I'm not an expert on these things but i can only tell you how it was for my bitch after she gave birth. She had diarrhoea for about a week and a half to two weeks. Gradually during that time her stools went from a sloppy consistency to a soft poo to being back to normal. The vet wasn't too concerned as she was eating and drinking well and going for 10 minute walks around the block which was of her choosing. I also used to put live natural yoghurt in her dinner which she loved. This may help with balancing out good and bad bacteria in her gut. Goats yoghurt would be easier to digest for her if you can get it. I'm sure someone will come along soon to give you some good advice.
By mussycat [gb] Date 14.12.10 09:52 GMT
thanks for the repleys,she did eat all the placentas she was to quick for me to stop her,she is eating and drinking and well in herself soo ill keep an eye
By white lilly (***) [gb] Date 14.12.10 18:20 GMT
eating the placentas is why she will have the runs, 1 of my girls eat 8 of them ,if they want them then i let them ,but the down side to it this :-( she had the runs for about a week and was fine! xx
By godicia [gb] Date 15.12.10 01:52 GMT
Well i've had the same experience and then took my bitch the vet and often the vet has recommended an antibiotic and it's cleared up just fine so if it persists pop her along to the vets as if it carries on she will loose alot of condition.

Best wishes Susan
Previous Next Up Topic Dog Boards / Breeding / bitch with diarrhoea 5 days post whelping
About Us - Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy