Champdogs Information Exchange - Not logged in
Forum Board Index Breeders Active Topics Help Search Register Login
Previous Next Up Topic Other Boards / Foo / Fence screening
By ChristineW (***) [gb] Date 27.01.11 17:19 GMT
Before a problem manifests itself with the couple next door and their Rottweilers, I want to get the fence between our gardens screened so that their dogs cannot see into my garden and cause distress to my cats by barking, growling, grumbling and running up and down in their run next to my fence.    The older Rottweiler (About a year old) has already got out of the garden and nipped a neighbour, the couple have a 6 month old baby and over Christmas, a Rottweiler puppy appeared.    As I type this, the older one is in it's run (Situated next to the fence bordering MY garden) barking and rumbling whenever one of my cats/dog/myself go into the garden.

I thought about ordering some of that screening that comes in a roll, bamboo, willow etc. does anyone have this & is it effective?   I really want to block off the Rottweilers view into my garden altogether, I don't want plants & trellis or hedging, something that's easy to fix in place and won't require any major amount of maintenance.   Any suggestions, please?
By LJS (****) [gb] Date 27.01.11 17:48 GMT
Christine even with a high dry stone wall the girls can hear and sniff a person walking past and will run to the fence and woof so I doubt a screen would prevent them doing what they are doing now
By ChristineW (***) [gb] Date 27.01.11 18:09 GMT
Well if that is the case then my cats have a right to go into their own garden and a phone call to the dog warden will happen.
By LindyLou (***) [gb] Date 27.01.11 18:37 GMT
My neighbours put up a 6' high fence between us as they didn't like my dogs saying hello (thankfully they've moved and the new neighbour is really nice) It's one of those ranch style fences that you can't see through and is solid. My dogs still barked when they heard movement. In fact probably barked more cos they couldn't see them.

As your garden is a front one you won't be able to put anything up that is higher than 3'. :-(
Life is not a bed of roses but a comedy of errors
By Goldmali (****) [gb] Date 27.01.11 18:45 GMT
If it is a front garden then yes LindyLou is right -assuming the law in Scotland is the same! -one metre is all you are allowed. I'd have thought fencing panels would be most effective as I know (from having lived next door to people with dogs) that dogs will look through the tiniest space. Also unfortunately don't think the dog warden can do anything -remember that case where a Bullterrier killed a cat and the court case ended with the judge declaring dogs are by law allowed to kill cats as it's in their nature? :-(
Marianne. Dogs are not our whole lives, there are cats too!
By ChristineW (***) [gb] Date 27.01.11 19:39 GMT

> As your garden is a front one you won't be able to put anything up that is higher than 3'. :-(

Well as the fence separating the 2 gardens is 5ft high and replaced a fence of the same height that never had any problems before.    The fence around my garden can be 6 feet, I know I've checked, there's others in the village with hedges 10ft+.
What I want is something to screen the gaps inbetween the fencing rails.

If people would get off their backsides & walk their dogs rather than just use the garden as a dog playground, then it would be ok.
By ali-t (***) [gb] Date 27.01.11 21:18 GMT

> Well if that is the case then my cats have a right to go into their own garden and a phone call to the dog warden will happen.

I don't think the dog warden will do anything, they aren't particularly effective when there are issues on public land never mind private property.  Would it not be more effective to speak to them about it?  You could arrange times when they could let their dogs out and your cats wouldn't be there and vice versa.
The artist formerly known as cheekychow! - with a staffy and a rottie not a chow, but very cheeky!
By Carrington (****) [gb] Date 27.01.11 22:22 GMT
Where I used to live we had new neighbours move in with a small breed dog, yap, yap, yap wasn't the word, every time we moved he would attack the fence so much so it made a hole which made him yap all the more. I did put wire mesh across the fence and bamboo roll too, along with a word to the owner about calling in her dog once it started, even invited him around and gave him treats etc, he got on great with my dog, I even used to walk him occasionally, BUT, it honestly didn't stop the dog from yapping at us from behind it's fence, he seemed to forget that he knew us.

The only thing I will say is not being able to see the dog due to the bamboo roll (and knowing the mesh was behind that) made me, my children, my dog and my cats feel better about being in our garden, the cats learnt to ignore him. His owner always took too long IMO to call him in when he started his yapping.

But, a lot of small breeds are more reactive they just like the sound of their own voice, whereas a Rotti is guarding so maybe not seeing you will work better on a Rotti?
By Pookin (**) [gb] Date 27.01.11 22:26 GMT
I used rolls of bamboo screening at my old place to try and stop my lurcher obsessing with the field on the other side of the fence. It worked well for him (probably because of being a sight hound) but the bamboo rolls weren't really that cheap and after a few months the high winds there tore it to shreds, I never bothered replacing it partly because of cost and partly because the dog had 'grown out' of being so interested in the cows/sheep/horses by then. I did like the way it used to look though :-)
More dogs please
By LindyLou (***) [gb] Date 27.01.11 22:56 GMT

> Well as the fence separating the 2 gardens is 5ft high and replaced a fence of the same height that never had any problems before.    The fence around my garden can be 6 feet, I know I've checked, there's others in the village with hedges 10ft+.

> What I want is something to screen the gaps inbetween the fencing rails.

That's ok then, I couldn't remember the height of the fence round your garden, and the fact that you have checked it out will help you. I tried that bamboo fence between my garden and the neighbour the other side from the 6' high fence, it helped quite a bit, but they still knew the GSD was there. The GSD kept launching herself at the fence which made mine retaliate. We've sorted out that issue but it took a while as her owners didn't help for a while. I no longer have the bamboo screen and they ignore her most of the time.

You could try the bamboo screen, after all it isn't all that expensive.
Life is not a bed of roses but a comedy of errors
By ChristineW (***) [gb] Date 27.01.11 23:27 GMT

> But, a lot of small breeds are more reactive they just like the sound of their own voice, whereas a Rotti is guarding so maybe not seeing you will work better on a Rotti?

The dog is reacting to sight rather than by sound or smell, even when I went out with a tape measure this afternoon to measure the fence length he came bounding straight up and tried to launch himself over the top growling at me  (And this is a dog I have fed treats too through the fence previously!).  The problem is, if the pup sees this behavious, it's going to copy and then it'll be two fully grown male Rottweilers on the other side of the fence!!!!  I'm pretty confident around dogs but even I balk at that.
By kazz (***) [gb] Date 28.01.11 09:56 GMT
Have you tried talking to the owners of the dog and saying you are not happy about the position of the run bordering your property? can they put a fence up. There side as well. But something tell me that is not an option otherwise you would have come up with that. I feel for you, I have to ask though as the run got a "top" on it?
Because I have a 8 year old Staff here who could jump and clear a 5ft fence no problem, so I am reasonably sure a fully grown rottie could if not clear it on first attempt could with another encouraging the behaviour.

I would put up a solid fence higher than you already have if you have a 5ft now then a 6ft one. If you want ease then the bamboo rollout sort would do but that has no strength at all in it.

I have no idea why certain people think this is acceptable annoying their neighbours with their dogs. They just do not seem to think outside their own little pod.
Hope it works out for you.
By tina s (**) [gb] Date 28.01.11 12:36 GMT
i would use solid wooden fence, we have bamboo against a trellis and its see through, they can still see the squirells at my bird feeding station on the other side!
By dogs a babe (****) [gb] Date 28.01.11 18:17 GMT
Christine what type of fence do you currently have?

You could add brushwood to help screen their view.  You can buy this stuff on a roll in various heights but it isn't cheap.  It probably depends what you want to fix it as to how 'see through' it is to but you could put something else in between to completely block the view AND to help muffle sound.

I was looking for a UK example to show you but stumbled on this Australian one instead.  The UK stuff is probably not as well manufactured, and I think is thinner than the Aus stuff looks, but as long as you fix it very well to your existing fence then you should get quite a long life from it even in our damp climes.  We had some on a gate at our last house and it worked pretty well although we didn't fix the bottom properly and we had a small terrier nose shaped hole appear! :-)
Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see ~Mark Twain
By ChristineW (***) [gb] Date 28.01.11 18:41 GMT
How do I describe it?  Its 5 feet high and it is planks of wood with a small gap between each plank (Vertically), a fence post every 8 feet or so.   Its very strong and only about 18 months old.  I was thinking of hammering something onto my side so the dog can't see through the gaps.
By dogs a babe (****) [gb] Date 28.01.11 20:19 GMT

> I was thinking of hammering something onto my side so the dog can't see through the gaps.

OK sounds like you have 'hit and miss' fence panels and you need 'overlap' panels.  You can look at other fencing options here which might give you some inspiration!

You ought to be able to attach some planks of wood to cover/overlap the gaps.  A timber yard will cut it to size or you could customise some from 2nd hand fence panels which you might find on freecycle or eBay.  If you had the fence fitted by a professional company they may be willing to come back and do the job for you

Just take care to use a similar timber, treated in the same way so that it weathers more evenly.  Also you should probably remove the panel or give it extra support whilst you do the work to ensure that you don't weaken it.
Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see ~Mark Twain
By STARRYEYES (****) [gb] Date 29.01.11 00:07 GMT Edited 29.01.11 00:11 GMT
The bamboo is expensive but does deteriorate quicker than normal fencing I have it at the back of my garden to block the fence but it is only visible during the winter in the summer we have trees that block it out.

My neighbours dog peeps over the fence and looks so sad watching my girls playing..I had to add trellis to the top of the fence to stop him as the girls didnt like him peeping, also I was concerned when they were in season in case he jumped the fence as I know he is entire.
Faithful and true to the last beat of his heart.
By ali-t (***) [gb] Date 29.01.11 10:12 GMT

> The problem is, if the pup sees this behavious, it's going to copy and then it'll be two fully grown male Rottweilers on the other side of the fence!!!!  I'm pretty confident around dogs but even I balk at that.

Christine, my rott boy reacts to the pet corrector sprays even though my staffy doesn't seem bothered by them.  I have also spoken to other rott owners who say the same.  something about that hissing noise stops them in their tracks.  The sprays are much cheaper on ebay than in the shops and can be picked up for around 3.50 on ebay.  A few discreet scooshes when the dog comes roaring at the fence and you will have him trained in no time!
The artist formerly known as cheekychow! - with a staffy and a rottie not a chow, but very cheeky!
By colliepam (***) [gb] Date 29.01.11 11:24 GMT
good luck,i have to be honest,that sounds like a nightmare!Having had neighbours with a very noisy lab and staffy,was bad enough.Round here,ive noticed no one ever bothers to stop their dogs barking any more!and we re on a terraced street too .Im scared to death my dogs might be a nuisance to people,and make sure theyre not,but some people seem to think it doesnt matter,has anyone else noticed this?Id try that spray,if id known about it when i had those neighbours,idv got some-hey!does it work on people?Idv bought a caseload!thank god theyve gone!
By tina s (**) [gb] Date 29.01.11 12:01 GMT
i agree no one stops dogs barking round here either. i always bring mine in if they start as soon as poss and lock indoors if we are out but my neighbours dog is left in the garden all day barking when it wants. even when they are in they dont stop it and of course it makes mine bark more too.
they stand at their front door fussing and stroking this dog and then once indoors it gets dumped in the garden and conservatory for the rest of the day and they never walk it either
By colliecrew (**) [gb] Date 29.01.11 14:13 GMT
I have willow screening around my decking but it would be pretty hopeless in your situation Christine. It can easily be seen through. I think larch lap panels attached to your current fencing would be the only thing to block their view.

What a nightmare for you - you have my sympathy. I couldn't stand any neighbours least of all one with dogs who barked everytime me, the dogs or the cats set foot outside.
By colliepam (***) [gb] Date 29.01.11 18:50 GMT
are you sure you havnt got my old neighbours,hehe!they never walked theirs,either!
By ChristineW (***) [gb] Date 29.01.11 20:29 GMT
I found this website and I like the bark screening.   Its not in stock yet but I know now what to look for as I think it'll be effective in covering the gaps between the fence planks.
By kazz (***) [gb] Date 30.01.11 10:47 GMT
That looks okay and I hope it works. Are they liable to put the new pup in the run with the current dog? If so I imagine they will end up egging each other on.
All I can say is if I ever move I am taking my current neighbours with me or buying the house next door and vetting the neighbours. I am so sorry for you. 
By Pookin (**) [gb] Date 30.01.11 13:24 GMT
Lol, thats the same website I used for my bamboo rolls, the delivery was very quick. The bark looks just the thing for filling in gaps and is very nice looking too I think.
More dogs please
By tadog (***) [gb] Date 30.01.11 13:48 GMT
When I boutght this house the first thing I did was put up a (prob) 6 ft high wooden panel (upright panels) fence.  to keep my dogs in/safe and anyone/thing on the other side out.  no one can see over it or thru it as the panels overlap.  I dont know what I would do in your situation. take advice from CAB prob. but the first thing is to make sure your dogs are safe.
By ali-t (***) [gb] Date 13.03.11 14:23 GMT
Christine, the other thread on the go just now about neighbours reminded me of this one.  How are you getting on with the neighbours dogs?  did you find a solution that worked?
By ChristineW (***) [gb] Date 14.03.11 21:18 GMT
To cut a long story short, Ali, no.  I bought 4 rolls of stripped bark screen fencing & hammered it onto the existing fence.  It looks very nice and I really cannot see the dogs now however they can still see some movement through 'their' side of the fence in my garden and the adulty has taken to 'bouncing' off the fence barking and growling.  Occasionally, a screeched 'Hugo' comes from within the house or they will come out and take the dogs out of the run into the house but the dogs are getting put out in that run earlier & earlier now the mornings are getting lighter.  :-(
By kazz (***) [gb] Date 14.03.11 21:38 GMT Edited 14.03.11 21:42 GMT
I can only see this getting worse, with the lighter days. I would have a word with your local dog warden and put them in the picture.
Have you spoken to them at all and said the dogs are upsetting you and would they consider if not moving the run putting up some fencing their side and blocking out the dogs view of your garden.
By ali-t (***) [gb] Date 14.03.11 22:02 GMT
That's a shame it hasn't stopped.  It might be time to get the garden hose on Hugo every time he comes at your fence or another aversive. 

I know I sound like a broken record with this but I have yet to meet a rott that doesn't hate the noise from the pet corrector http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PET-CORRECTOR-50ml-STOPS-BARKING-/290540799775?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&hash=item43a594c71f  a much weaker and less barbaric version of the Adams e-collar lol  It isn't particularly pleasant for the dog to hear but it will stop behaviour pretty quickly if your timing is good.
By ChristineW (***) [gb] Date 14.03.11 22:20 GMT

> I can only see this getting worse, with the lighter days. I would have a word with your local dog warden and put them in the picture.
>

I think that's the way it's going to have to go.     There seems to be an aversion to walking your dogs in Inchture, a family almost opposite used to leave their Labs in the garden to bark at anyone passing by but the dog warden was notified and used to sit listening to it, the Labs are no longer a problem.

Hugo, does have a blot in his copybook already, as he has got out of his garden and has gone for an elderly neighbour so I'm sure the Police will have notified the dog warden.  Trying to track a P&K dog warden down is like a needle in a haystack.
By kazz (***) [gb] Date 15.03.11 02:55 GMT
Here you can find a dog warden by getting in contact with your local council. Here I would look on the birmingham council website and look for dog warden. Jut try entering dog warden and then your area in google or other sites available ;-)
Previous Next Up Topic Other Boards / Foo / Fence screening
About Us - Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy