Champdogs Information Exchange - Not logged in
Forum Board Index Breeders Active Topics Help Search Register Login
Previous Next Up Topic Dog Boards / Breeding / Milk production when not pregnant?
By chell1981 [gb] Date 14.05.11 19:21 GMT
We find out tomorrow if our one bitch is expecting puppies, she will be on day 31, but tonight we have noticed that my other bitch (who hasn't been mated) has 2 raised nipples, that are leaking a milky type fluid, only 2 of her nipples are raised and feel quite puffy underneath the nipple,  the rest look normal! She last came into season on 13th April which was 2 months before she was actually due in (we believe our other bitch brought her into season). Anyone any ideas why she may be producing milk? I know 100% that she isn't pregnant there is no physical way she could be as she's not been in contact with any males at all.
By triona (**) [gb] Date 14.05.11 19:26 GMT
Are the nipples hot? as it might be an infection, but it likely that she is having a phantom brought on by the other bitch, either way she will need to be treated.
By chell1981 [gb] Date 14.05.11 19:33 GMT
No nipples aren't hot at all, she's eating fine, her usual self wouldn't have noticed had she not just come for her belly rub..........BUT we have a 4 month old kitten, she always sleeps in with the dogs and is very friendly with them likes to cuddle up to them, we noticed her nuzzling in that area about a week ago but shooed her away and didn't think anymore of it and haven't witnessed her doing it since but what goes on at night obviously we don't see, have only just thought about the possibility it could be her when I was speaking with the hubby about it, could that be a possibility?
By MsTemeraire (***) [gb] Date 14.05.11 19:52 GMT

> only just thought about the possibility it could be her when I was speaking with the hubby about it, could that be a possibility?

It could be - my sister had a GSD (unspayed, never bred from) which came into milk and nursed a kitten.
Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative.
By chell1981 [gb] Date 14.05.11 19:56 GMT
If it is the kitten why now? We've had her 6 weeks, she didn't leave the mother till 9 weeks so isn't like any sort of separation too early problem, if it does turn out to be the kitten obviously we will seperate her from the dogs but is it likely to cause any problems to the bitch?
By Goldmali (****) [gb] Date 14.05.11 22:42 GMT
If it is the kitten why now? We've had her 6 weeks, she didn't leave the mother till 9 weeks so isn't like any sort of separation too early problem,

Well the kitten did leave her mum 4 weeks too early so certainly wouldn't have finished suckling.

I had a Golden bitch once who started to produce milk and fed one rescued puppy and two litters of kittens -the kittens just suddenly got the idea there was milk on tap. Amazing sight. In that case though the reason was obvious as the rescued pup was very young and it happened when she arrived.
Marianne. Dogs are not our whole lives, there are cats too!
By JeanSW (****) [gb] Date 14.05.11 23:01 GMT

> Anyone any ideas why she may be producing milk?

I don't see why you think it's abnormal!  :-)

In the wild, all the bitches would make milk and feed the alpha bitches pups.  It's a great survival technique.

I have a Yorkshire Terrier bitch that is very, very maternal.  Has always wanted to steal other bitches puppies, and has tried her utmost to get mated when I was determined that she was not having a husband.

I wanted to have her spayed last autumn - I always spay midway between seasons.  But this bitch had the worst phantom that I have ever seen.  She started following 12 weeks old Chi pups around - ones that I had bred, so mum still here, but no longer feeding.  My Yorkie girl would pull them under her, and when I found them suckling from her, she was loaded with milk.  Unfortunately her milk has lasted 4 months, and when she next comes into season, she will be examined by my vet, and how/when to get her spayed will be discussed. 

But your bitch not being pregnant isn't relevant!  And yes, I agree that your other girl brought her in to season early.  My girls are always doing it.
The hurrier I go - the behinder I get!
By Brainless (*****) [gb] Date 15.05.11 07:38 GMT
Some degree of phantom pregnancy is the norm for bitches after they have a season, we simply tend not to notice unless symptoms are more pronounced.

Bitches go through the same hormone changes after a season whether mated or nto.  This is a survival mechanism for the wild canine where the non breeding bitches help feed and care for the young of the alpha bitch.

This normal event should not need treatment unless an infection sets in.

If the bitch is behaving broody and starts nesting and hoarding make believe puppies these should e removed, bedding even taken away if she insists on moping, exercise increased and food cut down by about 25%.  This will help persuade her body that it is not a good time to have puppies.

Treatment as such (Galastop) is a last resort and has been known to have unwanted side effects, son only needed in extreme cases.
Barbara and the Grey Curly Tails.
By chell1981 [gb] Date 17.05.11 14:27 GMT
**** UPDATE****

It is 100% the kitten that is suckling on my bitch, I can only assume this is what's caused her to have milk...? I have witnessed the kitten on 3 separate occasions today suckling from her, obviously took her away from my bitch but how can I stop this? I can't separate them 24/7 but don't really want the kitten suckling from my girl, the kitten is 4 months old and has only these last couple of weeks started to do this..

My other girl isn't pregnant so it's not an alpha thing as suggested earlier in the thread :-)
By foxworthy Date 17.05.11 15:28 GMT
My dog had a phantom pregnancy  after her last season and produced milk ect.
By chell1981 [gb] Date 17.05.11 15:42 GMT
i don't think this is a phantom pregnancy the only thing she has is the milk and i now believe thats being produced because of the kitten, she's not encouraging the kitten to suckle or anything and isn't trying to play mom to their teddies or anything i do purely believe after having seen it now with my own eyes that it is the kitten.

I have searched the net and no where seems to see it as a problem that the kitten is doing this but for some reason it just doesn't seem right and i feel i need to put a stop to it somehow....
By Jeangenie (*****) [gb] Date 17.05.11 17:40 GMT

> Anyone any ideas why she may be producing milk?
>i don't think this is a phantom pregnancy the only thing she has is the milk and i now believe thats being produced because of the kitten

A degree of lactation after a season, whether mated or not, is normal behaviour for a bitch; the fact that the kitten is making the most of it is coincidental - free food!
A closed mouth gathers no feet
Previous Next Up Topic Dog Boards / Breeding / Milk production when not pregnant?
About Us - Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy