Champdogs Information Exchange - Not logged in
Forum Board Index Breeders Active Topics Help Search Register Login
Previous Next Up Topic Dog Boards / Health / Rock Sulphur
By charlysez [gb] Date 02.06.11 09:58 GMT
Hi, I have done a search for this on the forum but found no matches.

My friend is having great success using rock sulphur in the dogs drinking water, her dog is usually bright pink and scratching by this time of year, but not so now.  I am trying to find info on the product but there isnt much around, lots of suppliers, just no indepth information.

It cools the blood and is supposed to help dogs stay cool, I remember as a child being given sulphur tablets whenever I came out in heat bumps and that worked.
By Tadsy (**) Date 02.06.11 10:47 GMT
I've got some in a cupboard under the stairs. THink it originally came from PAH. My lot just gently removed it from the water bowl and left it by the side!!!!
By furriefriends (****) [gb] Date 02.06.11 11:51 GMT
My gsd just chewed it up
By Sawheaties (***) [gb] Date 02.06.11 15:03 GMT
I got mine at PAH, however there was no way that my old boy was going to drink from a bowl with a lump of something in the bottom so I resorted to frozen spincah and Dorwest Mixed Veg tabs to help the skin.
Karen
By colliepam (***) [gb] Date 03.06.11 16:36 GMT
this is strange-years ago i read about putting sulphur in a dogs bowl,but the book said it was a waste of time as the rock sulphur doesnt dissolve into the water- -nice that its worked for your friend!anyone else tried it?be nice if it does work!
By charlysez [gb] Date 09.06.11 10:15 GMT
i have bought some, its only been a few days but my dogs dont seem as scratchy or panting as much. 

i also read that the rock doesnt disperse quickly so have put a piece in a jug with water which i then use in the dogs bowl, something is working, or perhaps its the change in the weather!!
By Jetstone Jewel (***) [ca] Date 09.06.11 12:53 GMT
It cools the blood?  Would it work for my own hot flashes and night sweats?
By colliepam (***) [gb] Date 09.06.11 20:34 GMT
well,i reckon its worth a try,especially with my daughters dog being so itchy!thanks!dunno if itd work on humans!might set a trend and try it myself!
By Lacy (***) Date 10.06.11 09:12 GMT
Is rock sulphur similar to dog rocks, and do you have to keep it in the water bowl all the time just refilling as they drink?
Basset folk
By Staff (**) [gb] Date 10.06.11 09:29 GMT
Giving the homeopathic remedy of sulphur works in the same way and i've seen great results in dogs and humans when using this.
By Henri3402 (**) [gb] Date 11.06.11 20:21 GMT

> Is rock sulphur similar to dog rocks, and do you have to keep it in the water bowl all the time just refilling as they drink?

No, dog rocks are supposed to stop burn marks on the lawn (can't comment on them as I've never used them).  Rock sulphur is for use in hot weather, we take it with us when we go to shows and stay for the week as the weather is always a lot warmer in England, I put in a water container and refil water bowls as required.
You haven't lived till you've lived with a Boxer!
By triona (**) [gb] Date 11.06.11 20:38 GMT
Mum was trying to get some rock Sulphur a few weeks ago and only found it at PAH but they only sell in small lumps so she didn't buy just in case the slightly dopey dog ate it as he does eat everything LOL
By colliepam (***) [gb] Date 12.06.11 08:28 GMT
So as people are still obviously using rock sulphur in their dogs water-do I take it the old book I read,had it wrong,and some sulphur does get into the water?Ive never tried it,all these years because of that!Wouldve been useful for my old dog who used to feel the heat.
By Henri3402 (**) [gb] Date 12.06.11 09:25 GMT

> Mum was trying to get some rock Sulphur a few weeks ago and only found it at PAH but they only sell in small lumps so she didn't buy just in case the slightly dopey dog ate it as he does eat everything LOL

That's exactly why I don't put it in the dishes but as I've said previously I put it into a water container and refil dishes from that.
You haven't lived till you've lived with a Boxer!
Previous Next Up Topic Dog Boards / Health / Rock Sulphur
About Us - Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy