Champdogs Information Exchange - Not logged in
Forum Board Index Breeders Active Topics Help Search Register Login
Previous Next Up Topic Dog Boards / Breeding / Flea treatment for in whelp bitch?
By orangedog (*) [gb] Date 09.07.11 10:09 GMT
Hi I have tried to search on here regarding flea treatment whilst in whelp and i can see frontline is ok is iit oly frontline I use hyperdrugs own spot on ?  Does it matter how far gone the bitch is, my little girl will only be 10 days (if she has taken).  
By cornishmals (***) [gb] Date 09.07.11 10:12 GMT Edited 09.07.11 10:23 GMT
I have no used chemicals for fleas on my dogs or cats for years,they just get a capsule of garlic each day with their dinner.However frontline is safe on breeding,preganant and lactating bitches.More details can be found on:
http://www.buyfrontlineonline.co.uk/
Properly trained,a man can be a dogs best friend.
By orangedog (*) [gb] Date 09.07.11 10:23 GMT
I have always given them a human garlic capsule a day and for the past 21 years none of my dogs have every had fleas.  But the girl in question is scratching alot and i did find her prancing around the garden with a birds next in her mouth, i have had a really good look but she is very heavy and long haired so i maybe missing something.
By Belgianique (*) [gb] Date 09.07.11 14:06 GMT
stronghold is OK and does mange as well but I wouldn't use anything unless there was obviously a problem as any chemical going on to a pregnant bitch is a risk whatever the manufacturers ay :-(
By Brainless (*****) [gb] Date 09.07.11 18:54 GMT
Only the Frontline (or equivalent like Effipro) spray not the spot on is advisable in whelp if there are actually fleas.
Barbara and the Grey Curly Tails.
By orangedog (*) [gb] Date 15.07.11 08:52 GMT
Oh I am really worried now brainless....I have been off line (joy of BT) just logged back in today too see your reply.  I have used Frontline spot on.  The vet said it was safe to as it only goes on the skin not into the bloodstream like some other fleas treatments.  Without being disrespectful to vets they arent alway right. Is there anything I can do??? 
By Jeangenie (*****) [gb] Date 15.07.11 11:54 GMT

>The vet said it was safe to as it only goes on the skin not into the bloodstream like some other fleas treatments.

That's correct; Frontline Spot-on works by contract - it's not systemic. It even says that on the box.
A closed mouth gathers no feet
By Brainless (*****) [gb] Date 15.07.11 14:23 GMT
But it is not advised for pregnant bitches it says to use the Spot on.  Unless they have changed the info and licensing on the spot-on?
Barbara and the Grey Curly Tails.
By Hazenaide (**) [gb] Date 15.07.11 19:13 GMT
Don't worry. Frontline spot on has been tested and can be used during pregnancy. You cannot use it on puppies until 8 weeks amd during that time the frontline spray is a product that can be used I think from 2 days. Frontline is OK and for pregant and nursing bitches but not the pups. I am a suitably qualified person and sell this in my shop and am reading from the leaflet.
Diane
By Rhodach (***) [gb] Date 15.07.11 19:18 GMT
I had a leaflet in from Hyperdrug and they do their own spot on which can be used on pups from 2 weeks but no mention of pregnancy.
Rhona and the Long,Low and Level Hounds
By Hazenaide (**) [gb] Date 15.07.11 21:27 GMT
This is covered on the rear of the Frontline leaflet in Q & A

q Is Frontline spoton safe to use in pregnant and nursing bitches
a F/l spoton can be used in breeding, pregnant and lactating bitches and puppies from 8 weeks weighing at least 2kg.
It is very clear.
Diane
By JeanSW (****) [gb] Date 15.07.11 21:37 GMT

>F/l spoton can be used in breeding, pregnant and lactating bitches and puppies from 8 weeks weighing at least 2kg.

So this would be totally out of the question for certain breeds.  As my pups can weigh around 500gm at 10 weeks, it's important to know what breeds are being considered for use of a spot on.
The hurrier I go - the behinder I get!
By Hazenaide (**) [gb] Date 16.07.11 06:54 GMT
Obviously yes as it makes it very clear that under 2kg the Frontline spray should be used even if over 8 weeks.
Diane
By orangedog (*) [gb] Date 17.07.11 10:23 GMT
Thank you for putting my mind at rest, I just used it and threw the box away(lesson learnt). I didn't bother reading anything as the vet said it was ok. 
Previous Next Up Topic Dog Boards / Breeding / Flea treatment for in whelp bitch?
About Us - Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy