Champdogs Information Exchange - Not logged in
Forum Board Index Breeders Active Topics Help Search Register Login
Previous Next Up Topic Other Boards / Foo / Middle ear trouble
By Jeangenie (*****) [gb] Date 03.03.12 14:07 GMT
Human, not dog! About a month ago I came down with the cold-type bug that's been doing the rounds in the area, and it's left me with clogginess in my middle ears, so that I'm partially deaf unless my ears are clicking horribly. I thought that Sudafed and time would sort it out, but it's been three weeks like this and I'm thoroughly fed up - not to mention finding my work answering the phone at work very difficult. I plan to see the doctor on Monday, but has anyone any suggestions of what to do in the meantime. My nose isn't blocked at all, just my ears.
A closed mouth gathers no feet
By Stooge (***) [gb] Date 03.03.12 14:14 GMT
ETD
Antihistime might be worth a try.
By Jeangenie (*****) [gb] Date 03.03.12 15:04 GMT
Thanks - it looks as though I need to be patient for a few weeks longer.
By Stooge (***) [gb] Date 03.03.12 15:40 GMT
If antihistimine does not help I would still see the doctor and maybe consider steriods.  It can be so frustrating.  I was born deaf in one ear, I'm fine at work were we do not have a lot of background noise but it can ruin social gatherings etc when you just can't keep up with the gossip :-)
By Lacy (***) Date 03.03.12 18:41 GMT
Had something similar last year & ended up with grommets, hope you have better luck!
Basset folk
By Zebedee (**) [gb] Date 03.03.12 22:47 GMT
If it's any consolation i have the same problem at the moment with my left ear! It's been like it since christmas! Two months!
Don't you wish people came with a volume button so you could hear what they were saying.
I'm going to make an appointment with my doctor on monday too because it's me driving crazy. I have used a whole bottle of Otex in two weeks in the hope that It might have been hardened wax but nothing has changed at all. The only thing i can put it down to is when i had a bath (i only ever shower) water got into my ear and now can't escape. I have had perforated eardrums in the past so have to be careful.
Have you tried holding your nose and blowing so that your ears pop?
I'm going to try antihistamines and see what happens.
Hope you get yours sorted.
By Jeangenie (*****) [gb] Date 03.03.12 22:53 GMT

>Have you tried holding your nose and blowing so that your ears pop?

Yes - I get all sorts of horrendous crackles and squeaks and pops, and then it all goes dull and muffled again. :-(
By Stooge (***) [gb] Date 04.03.12 08:45 GMT

> Yes - I get all sorts of horrendous crackles and squeaks and pops, and then it all goes dull and muffled again.

I would keep trying regularly all the same, it will be agitating the stuff and helping to keep it more fluid and maybe reducing the length of time it takes to drain.
By Lacy (***) Date 04.03.12 09:33 GMT
One thing I was advised was a bowl of hot steaming water with olbas oil & inhaling with a towel over my head to attempt to loosen things up. Holding my nose & blowing (gently) didn't help either as I'm told I have badly scared ear drums but good luck.
Basset folk
Previous Next Up Topic Other Boards / Foo / Middle ear trouble
About Us - Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy