Champdogs Information Exchange - Not logged in
Forum Board Index Breeders Active Topics Help Search Register Login
Previous Next Up Topic Dog Boards / Feeding / Trying to be economical but keeping quality
By andreapattison (*) [gb] Date 05.03.12 20:20 GMT
I am currently feeding my dogs a mixture between arden grange lamb and rice and acana (small bags)

However, I am now trying to be economical due to the very near future arrival of our first child

I don't know whether to stick to arden grange (but perhaps give them variety and swap flavours) or to try Applaws which is cheaper than Orijen and Acana but similar nutritional content

I already give them variety by feeding them Naturediet as their 2nd meal and alternating flavours

It is important to me that I keep a food with good quality ingredients, although I need something affordable as well

I'm scared of buying big bags incase they get bored of the taste

Suggestions?
By dogs a babe (****) [gb] Date 05.03.12 20:34 GMT
You could give CSJ a go.  There are plenty of people on here who really rate their foods and they have a variety of kibbles to suit your dog's tastebuds and your pocket.  My only issue was that their Lamb and Rice was very large bite and my dogs weren't quite so keen on the size - although it compared very favourably to the AG L&R.

You will save money (quite a lot) by buying bigger bags and buying online, it won't go off and I can't see why your dogs would get bored if you alternate between two different types or indeed just mix them up.  You can always add other things to add interest such as raw mince, tinned fish, stock, wet food etc.  I feed raw but always keep some Fish4Dogs kibble in the house for an occasional meal or when I'm travelling - I really rate their food and my dogs do too.  We like AG as well and their customer service is excellent :-)
Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see ~Mark Twain
By andreapattison (*) [gb] Date 05.03.12 20:43 GMT
Applaws seems a cheaper option than Orijen and Acana but same qualities (this is important to me)

Would there be any issue if I fed between Applaws and Arden Grange to give them a bit of variety - or are you suggesting sticking to same brand but alternating flavours, in which case i'd have to buy smaller bags more often?

IS CSJ suitable for small breed dogs - I though i was for working dogs or agility?
By JeanSW (****) [gb] Date 05.03.12 22:42 GMT
">IS CSJ suitable for small breed dogs - I though i was for working dogs or agility?

My LC Chihuahuas steal it from the Collies.  It hasn't hurt them!
The hurrier I go - the behinder I get!
By kayenine (**) [gb] Date 05.03.12 22:42 GMT
I often switch brands depending on if there are any offers on at the shows, e.g. Fish4Dogs, JWB, etc, and use Arden Grange Lamb and Rice most of the time as it's always on special offer.

If you're going to try Applaws, Feedem have the 12.5kg bags of chicken and lamb on offer at the moment at 24.99 instead of 44.99.
By JeanSW (****) [gb] Date 05.03.12 23:50 GMT
">I often switch brands depending on if there are any offers on at the shows

Same here.  I buy Fish4Dogs and mix it with whatever has an offer on.  If no offers, then it's CSJ.

">If you're going to try Applaws, Feedem have the 12.5kg bags of chicken and lamb on offer at the moment at 24.99 instead of 44.99.

:-)  :-)   Thank you so much!  Have just ordered a couple of sacks at that price.
The hurrier I go - the behinder I get!
By Celli (***) [gb] Date 05.03.12 23:53 GMT
Have you looked at Robbies ?
They do a kibble and a dehydrated food that you add water to.
The dehydrated one ( Robbies ) is 46 for 10K, a bit cheaper than Orijen
The kibble ( Luath ) is the same price but a 15 k bag
They've also just added a Luath mini bites 7 for 2 k or 20 for 6 K, it's on special offer til the end of March, all the ranges come in smaller bags.
[url=http://www.landofholisticpets.co.uk/shop/][/url]
I got a dog for my husband......it was a fair swap.
By brac (**) [gb] Date 06.03.12 08:23 GMT
Yes CSJ is suitable for small dogs I feed it to my Border Terriers they do different size kibble .
it is about 12 for 15 kg bag and i have all my dogs on it some are short coated and I have long coated dogs as well.
I've learned...that life is like a roll of toilet paper.
The closer it gets to the end, the faster
By japmum (**) [gb] Date 06.03.12 12:31 GMT
I feed my two cavaliers csj lamb and rice and find it to be a very good food and as it is wheat and cereal free it suits my older cav who can suffer from a jiffy tummy if fed too much wheat.

I don't feed it to the jap chins as the kibble is too big for them,although they will occasionally sneak a kibble out of the cavs bowls. I really wish they did make a kibble for tiny dogs as I really can't fault this food at all and you can order 2 15kg bags for 6 and delivery is usually within 48 hrs
life without a dog is incomplete
By OwnedbyaBC (**) [je] Date 06.03.12 13:04 GMT
stupid question but could you not just bash the kibble up a bit in a sandwich bag first for feeding to small dogs? Its what I used to do with my old papillon when he'd only eat the same brand as the BCs :-)
By Barqueiro [gb] Date 06.03.12 13:26 GMT
If you want to continue to feed a high meat content food then Applaws would be a good alternative. Many of the other brands such as Luath, Robbies etc have a high cereal content. Fish4Dogs is OK too and considerably cheaper. If you're feeding a small dog you could use the puppy formula Fish4Dogs which is very similar in ingredient ratios of Acana and Orijen.
By G.Rets (**) [gb] Date 06.03.12 20:59 GMT
The main diet for my lot is tripe but they do have a complete for breakfast as I couldn't stomach the smell of tripe in the morning and I think Chappie is the best of the completes and it certainly is among the cheapest. With the newer, fashionable ones, you are often only paying for a name. Chappie is tried & tested. If the kibble is a bit big you could put it in a grinder for your dogs.
By kayenine (**) [gb] Date 06.03.12 21:09 GMT

> I think Chappie is the best of the completes

If it suits your dog, great, but looking at the ingredients I would say it is among the worst of the completes - although still not as bad as Bakers.

Cereals (min. 4% Whole Wheat),Derivatives of Vegetable Origin,Meat and Animal Derivatives (min. 4% Chicken),Oils and Fats,Minerals.
By Stooge (***) [gb] Date 06.03.12 21:25 GMT

> If it suits your dog, great, but looking at the ingredients I would say it is among the worst of the completes

Chappie has been tried and tested for decades, an excellent feed :-)  This rather demonstrates how the human sensibilities regarding food stuffs does not translate across to our dogs' taste buds and tummies :-)
Meat and Animal derivatives, yum yum :-)
By MsTemeraire (***) [gb] Date 06.03.12 23:00 GMT

> Chappie has been tried and tested for decades, an excellent feed :-)

But not if your dog has a gluten intolerance, or an aversion to any of its other ingredients. On the few occasions I have fed Chappie to one of mine, I have never had a solid poo to follow.
Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative.
By kayenine (**) [gb] Date 06.03.12 23:57 GMT

> This rather demonstrates how the human sensibilities regarding food stuffs does not translate across to our dogs' taste buds and tummies

Mmm, try telling that to one of mine who spits out food that he considers not up to par.....!! He won't even eat tinned Chappie.
By Goldmali (****) [gb] Date 07.03.12 00:17 GMT
Chappie has been tried and tested for decades, an excellent feed :-)  This rather demonstrates how the human sensibilities regarding food stuffs does not translate across to our dogs' taste buds and tummies :-)
Meat and Animal derivatives, yum yum :-)

Yes, all 4 % of it! Might as well go straight for hamster food. Mine would love that too (they even hoover up any birdseeds that end up on the floor), but is it what dogs should eat day in and day out?
Marianne. Dogs are not our whole lives, there are cats too!
By Jeangenie (*****) [gb] Date 07.03.12 07:18 GMT

>Chappie is the best of the completes

I agree; for dogs with sensitive tummies (ignoring those with food intolerances because they're outside the 'norm') you can't really go wrong. I've fed Chappie to my adults for years and people remark how well they look and how active they are - they can never believe the age of the oldies!
A closed mouth gathers no feet
By Stooge (***) [gb] Date 07.03.12 11:27 GMT

> But not if your dog has a gluten intolerance, or an aversion to any of its other ingredients.

Of course not but that is the same for any food.
By Stooge (***) [gb] Date 07.03.12 11:30 GMT

> but is it what dogs should eat day in and day out?

Well, clearly they can :-)  and do very well on it.  Infact it is has often been prescribed as a convelescent diet.
Like I said, this food rather disproves a lot of theories put forward regarding what dogs ought and ought not to be eating :-)
By Brainless (*****) [gb] Date 08.03.12 23:10 GMT

> I agree; for dogs with sensitive tummies (ignoring those with food intolerances because they're outside the 'norm') you can't really go wrong. I've fed Chappie to my adults for years and people remark how well they look and how active they are - they can never believe the age of the oldies!

I'd agree with the tinned, but not the dry complete which seems to be a barely adequate feed, with little meat/fish content at all.
Barbara and the Grey Curly Tails.
By Jeangenie (*****) [gb] Date 09.03.12 07:12 GMT
Luckily my dogs can't read, so don't know how their bodies are supposed to react to the ingredients. ;-)
A closed mouth gathers no feet
By minnie mouses (**) [gb] Date 24.03.12 11:44 GMT
Were can you buy CSJ dog food i an thinking of changing from RC which is getting to be to expensive.
By Trialist (***) [gb] Date 24.03.12 22:23 GMT
You can buy CSJ direct for home delivery, or through one of their stockists :  http://www.csjk9.com/stockists/

I've just changed 4 of my 6 from Arden Grange to Skinners Field & Trial Duck & Rice, making a saving of 6+ per bag! With 6 dogs, that's a saving!! No drop in condition, poos as good, and overall I am extremely pleased.

One girly is on Chappie tinned/dry :-) She loves it, and what's more it suits her ... looking as though we might have a rice intolerance!! So, wheat aint all bad!

Have had mine on CSJ Lamb and Rice in the past and it was fine, also one girly on Champ.
"How many"?!
By penfold (**) [gb] Date 25.03.12 10:13 GMT
I've got my adults on CSJ complete tripe and puppies are on CSJ CP27.  All are doing well, good condition, including my girl who had pups 9wks ago - but you'd never know by looking at her!  Poos all firm and not too many.
By maisiemum (**) [gb] Date 02.04.12 11:06 GMT
Stick to the Naturediet - it may be expensive but your dog will be healthier - hence lower vet bills.  Have a look on the internet and see if they are doing any cheap deals.  I get mine from Berriewoods (Kent/Essex area) and they often do cheaper 'breeder' packs of food.   Also, try James Wellbeloved which is always on offer at Pets at Home and they often do buy two get one free.  Don't sacrifice your dogs' health - there's always a way around it.
By uk_boerboels (*) [gb] Date 03.04.12 15:42 GMT Edited 03.04.12 15:46 GMT
If you're a member at Costco, or know someone who is, go and check out the kirkland brand kibbles they sell.
They do 20kg adult bags for 22 and it's actually not a bad product when you read the ingredients list. (no maize,wheat,gluten etc)

It's probably not going to be quite as good as the likes of arden grange and orijen etc, but if you mix it 50/50 with your expensive/regular stuff you should save a few quid over time. I needed to reduce my food bill too so i've just started 1 of mine on the kirkland chicken & rice (50/50 with AG). Nothing bad to say about it so far but i'll keep CDers posted.
By Beardy (**) [gb] Date 03.04.12 19:36 GMT
I have used Burgess Supadog Lamb & Rice for Sensitive dogs for years. I think it's a decent food at a very reasonable price. I buy from Feedem:

http://www.feedem.co.uk/dog-c1/dog-food-c2/adult-c4/burgess-supadog-sensitive-adult-dog-food-lamb-and-rice-25kg-p7453

:-- Lamb meal (min 26%), rice (min 26%), sugar beet pulp, animal fat, dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate.
Contains natural anti-oxidants. NO ADDED COLOURS. WHEAT GLUTEN FREE.
Protein  20%   Oils  10%  Ash  10%   Fibre  3%   Copper 10mg/kg

Its on offer at 18.99 for a 12.5 kilo bag
Beardy
By Beardy (**) [gb] Date 03.04.12 19:47 GMT
Have you any idea what the percentages are? The food doesn't look too bad & I might try a bag of the lamb & rice next time I go to Costco, it looks very similar to the Burgess Supadog Lamb & Rice ingredients. I have to be careful, as my GSD has a sensitive stomach.
Beardy
By Frogs [gb] Date 03.04.12 19:54 GMT
I switched to CSJ on cost basis and have been chuffed with how well the girls are doing on it...
I mix it with Prize Choice Raw minces and home made veg/fruit mixes...
By uk_boerboels (*) [gb] Date 04.04.12 10:29 GMT
Beardy, all the % info is in this link.
http://shop.costco.com/In-The-Warehouse/Kirkland-Signature-Pet-Food.aspx

For the price and weight it's definitely worth a try.
By Beardy (**) [gb] Date 07.04.12 15:40 GMT
Thanks for the link, I had looked at it. I just like to see the actual percentages (which aren't actually shown), but assume as lamb & lamb/meal are at the top of the list, that they are the main ingredients.

Thanks for the info, will pick a bag up next time I go.
Beardy
Previous Next Up Topic Dog Boards / Feeding / Trying to be economical but keeping quality
About Us - Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy