Champdogs Information Exchange - Not logged in
Forum Board Index Breeders Active Topics Help Search Register Login
Previous Next Up Topic Dog Boards / General / Setting Up a Breed Club
By luddingtonhall (*) [gb] Date 15.03.12 09:52 GMT
This is a purely hypothetical question, my love lies with breeds currently already recognised with several breed clubs.

The scenario;
A team of breeders are developing a breed that one day they hope will be KC recognised as a breed.  The breeders set up a breed club and write a breed standard.  They are now consistently producing dogs that meet that standard.  What else would they have to do to acquire the recognition of the KC for their new breed?  I'm assuming that complete records of all dogs used in the breeding programme would be required.  How many generations of consistent dogs would they need to show evidence of?  Does their breed club need a certain number of members or a certain size committee?

I was just wondering how hard it is for those truly dedicated to a new breed to get it recognised.  I know it wouldn't be an overnight process and could well take a few decades to achieve, but I just wondered how such people would go about it?  I have had a bit of a look around the world wide web and can't really find any information on it so wondered if the knowledgeable people on here would know?
By Brainless (*****) [gb] Date 15.03.12 10:43 GMT
Certainly when the KC allow out-crosses to other breeds the dogs recognised as purebred have to be from the fourth generation down from the out-cross, so certainly 4 generations of breeding pure, without continuing introduction of outside blood is likely to be the least.

With modern genetic knowledge and how important it is to have a very wide base of founder animals I cannot see how a viable new breed can ever be ethically achieved.

Most new breeds accepted have been existing types/breeds, bred to a standard and recognition applied for (Border Collies, Parson Russells for example in my time in dogs), or foreign breeds.

It would require large numbers bred repeatedly to obtain the small number of animals suitable to carry on.  With culling being totally abhorrent and unacceptable in most circles, breeding large numbers of pups that then need to be homed is going to be a huge ethical issue
Barbara and the Grey Curly Tails.
By nursey (***) [gb] Date 15.03.12 11:30 GMT
Recognition of new breeds. The Kennel club.

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/603

Dawn R.
By luddingtonhall (*) [gb] Date 15.03.12 12:04 GMT
Ah, thankyou very much.  I tried the KC website but couldn't find what I was looking for.

From the sounds of both your posts it would be nigh on impossible for a new breed (as opposed to one from another country that is not yet recognised here) to become recognised at this point in time.  I knew it would be tough but didn't realise how tough or, now that Barbara has shone a light on what to do with the puppies that don't make it, how unethical it could prove to be.
By Goldmali (****) [gb] Date 15.03.12 13:06 GMT
With modern genetic knowledge and how important it is to have a very wide base of founder animals I cannot see how a viable new breed can ever be ethically achieved.

Not to mention that it would be pointless -with such a HUGE number of breeds already in existence, if there is anything lacking in the UK it is bound to exist abroad. I don't see the point in trying to create something else, there has to be an existing breed for everyone, already out there. Even then to import a new breed and to get it KC recognised will take many years.
Marianne. Dogs are not our whole lives, there are cats too!
Previous Next Up Topic Dog Boards / General / Setting Up a Breed Club
About Us - Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy