Champdogs Information Exchange - Not logged in
Forum Board Index Breeders Active Topics Help Search Register Login
Previous Next Up Topic Dog Boards / Health / Virus similar to Parvo?
By mattie (***) [gb] Date 02.03.05 10:33 GMT
Anyone had a problem with a virus that isnt Parvo but similar?
glenys
By josi [mt] Date 02.03.05 10:45 GMT
yes, at 5 weeks old my lab puppy had the same symptoms of Parvo, but it wasn't.  The vet said it was a gastroentheritis virus which is as bad as Parvo, a young puppy can die of it just the same.

I would go straight to the vet if there are any symptoms which are worrying.
By mattie (***) [gb] Date 02.03.05 11:48 GMT
thankyou, we have already got him at the Vets but I wasnt convinced it was Parvo.
was your puppy ok?
glenys
By Lokis mum (****) [gb] Date 02.03.05 11:50 GMT
I have heard word of a virus around here - but it has been very much "friend of a friend of a friend's dog" so cannot verify anything.   It's not your new girl's puppies, I hope?

Margot
By mattie (***) [gb] Date 02.03.05 12:26 GMT
the new mum and babes are ok they are isolated from the kennels my dogs touch wood are fine but three pups we took from ireland have died one pulled through and is fine thats what makes me think it wasnt Parvo else the pup wouldnt have pulled through.
I am really upset at the moment plus have mega vet bill for rescue,just spent over a 1100 in vet bils for rescue Dec and jan now its up to over 300 again :-(
We need a little help from above I think
glenys
By josi [mt] Date 02.03.05 11:58 GMT
yes bailey is fine and 6 months old now, the virus hit her twice and from what the vet said it is us human who carry this virus through our shoes, he suggested and i followed his advise to put a slightly wet in disinfectant floor cloth behind the door, so who ever comes to visit wipes his shoes before going near your dog.

Hope your dog will be better, one thing that helped Bailey feel abit better was dyrolite Black Current (substitute for salt loss) I don't know if you have it in your country but you can ask a pharmacy, I used to give her 1 sachet with 1 small glass of water and put it in her bowl for her to drink.  Everything she feels abit sick, like vomitting or dirrhea I give one sachet and she gets better.

Hope this helps.
By Bluebell (***) [gb] Date 03.03.05 10:58 GMT
If necessary you can make your own dyrolite with a table spoon of sugar and a teaspoon of salt in a pint of water. Always handy to know as useful for all forms of dehydration - actually saved my friends dog with this as they live in US and are about an hours drive from the nearest vet :-)
By mattie (***) [gb] Date 03.03.05 22:20 GMT
Ive made a note of that thankyou for the tip
glenys
By chud (*) [gb] Date 04.03.05 09:16 GMT
hi... I went to the vets the other week and he warned me not to walk my puppy in pype hayes park (birmingham area..) as he has had lots of dogs coming in with a nasty sickness bug and one had parvo..
For those of you who have also heard of a nasty bug going around, what area do you live in??.....
By huskymad (*) [gb] Date 04.03.05 11:19 GMT
Hi every one, i know how devastating these unknown virus are. It is ravaging in my area (east anglia, wisbech) There are three kennels all within 2 miles from each other who have all lost litters of pups and pregnant bitches. The symptoms are like parvo but tests have proven negative. The only thing which one of the affected have told me is that blood test proved high levels of campilobater (sp?) . But apparently all dogs carry this , its just deadly when the bug gets out of control. However, the vet says its a different virus which causes this rise in campilobacter. This lady has lost 2 litters of pups. Another a pregnant bitch and her litter is still affected. What area do you know is affected????
By huskymad (*) [gb] Date 04.03.05 11:19 GMT
Hi every one, i know how devastating these unknown virus are. It is ravaging in my area (east anglia, wisbech) There are three kennels all within 2 miles from each other who have all lost litters of pups and pregnant bitches. The symptoms are like parvo but tests have proven negative. The only thing which one of the affected have told me is that blood test proved high levels of campilobater (sp?) . But apparently all dogs carry this , its just deadly when the bug gets out of control. However, the vet says its a different virus which causes this rise in campilobacter. This lady has lost 2 litters of pups. Another a pregnant bitch and her litter is still affected. What area do you know is affected????
By mattie (***) [gb] Date 04.03.05 13:33 GMT
This sounds very much like the virus  the rescue dogs have suffered from,there is no high temperature and no vomitting :-( so throws the vets off the scent so to speake in the last week three pups have died here and last night an adult male.
we are now having to put any rescue dogs for homing in our local kennel its a nightmare made worse as we are wtaching our own dogs like a hawk we also have a bitch with a two week old litter here in isolation.

Its very important to be extra vigilant if walking in local parks etc..

our are is chorley lancashire
glenys
By John (****) [gb] Date 04.03.05 13:53 GMT
Have a look at this site:-

http://www.afghans-online.co.uk/campy.htm

I know it's Afghans but it makes interesting reading!

I remember there was a post about Campylobacter on here possibly over a year ago now. I believe Jo posted on it. It might be worth a search.

Best wishes, John
By chud (*) [gb] Date 04.03.05 14:10 GMT
thanks for the link, yes it is interesting reading, I'm so glad I took my pup to the vet as the symptoms he had sound very similar and he's been in a murky pond.... he didnt have a temperature either... the vet took no chances (as a bug is in our area)and gave him a couple of injections and some antibiotics... thankfully he's perfectly ok now.  Diarrhoea is never normal and if it continues its best to go to the vet.
By vivian (*) [gb] Date 04.03.05 15:57 GMT
Hi Mattie, yes Kizzy was on a drip with it for three days and anti-sickness tablets then anti-biotics and so on, this started with a soft motion on 22 Febuary but nothing to be to concerned about, by 23ed at lunch time she had vomited and poo'd so much both with blood that the vet said if we hadn't got her on a drip when we did she would have been gone within another 20 mins - 1/2 hour. I couldn't believe how fast she went down hill. They did say they thought it was a form of parvo that had mutated, but I notice that on the insurance claim form it said gastroenritis. It took about another 4 days when we got her home for her to get over the treatment and she then started imertating tiger again. Viv
By perrodeagua (****) [gb] Date 04.03.05 21:27 GMT
A SWD owner e-mailed me today to say that her dogs cant do Discover Dogs as they've got this virus that's going around at the moment.  Touch wood no more dogs come down with it.
If I wanted a Poodle, OES, TT or IWS I would have bought one. SWD's shd. be natural and rustic. No
By vivian (*) [gb] Date 05.03.05 07:59 GMT
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire. Viv
By kazz (***) [gb] Date 05.03.05 23:26 GMT
Chud where abouts are you? and which vet did you see (ie which road) the one opposite the park or further afield. Please PM me if you don't want to post the name here.
I am in B'ham near Pype hayes which is my local walk and have to say meet someone today whose dog was taken poorly in the week she is a cocker spaniel and expecting pups in 3 weeks or so - same symptoms it appears. Although I never paid much attention till reading this :-(
By mattie (***) [gb] Date 05.03.05 23:29 GMT
this virus is scary we need to be vigilant
glenys
By Lokis mum (****) [gb] Date 05.03.05 23:38 GMT
I'm thinking that if it is in the Birmingham area, all those of us who are going to Crufts nxt week should be looking at how best we can protect our dogs - after all, we all have to take them on the walk round the perimeter - and then they are all congregated together - we're there on the Sunday, and I think that for starters, I shall bring along some parvoviricide and wash the bench down before Beau goes on there - and I think I'll have a word with our vet before we go - but with just 1 week to go, I think it's too late to consider any type of vaccination - maybe nosodes - I'll see what I can find out.

Margot
By Christine (***) Date 06.03.05 07:51 GMT
I`m just wondering if any of the vets have done any testing? While treatment is pretty much the same for gastro probs sometimes specific a/bs are needed.
Corona virus is very similar to parvo but usually affects very young pups.

Christine, Spain.

Margot I`d try find out what it is but I`d start boosting their immune systems, vitC, echinacea/spirulina, garlic each day with honey or propolis, acv. If your dogs like veggies/fruit red peppers & kiwi fruits are high in vitC.
By Lokis mum (****) [gb] Date 06.03.05 08:12 GMT
Thanks for the food tips Christine I've got red peppers and kiwi fruits in the fridge now - and also honey - of course.   Think I might go & get some spirulena & order the rest on line today.

Margot
By kazz (***) [gb] Date 06.03.05 16:29 GMT
I have spoken to the owner of the Cocker bitch - with  virus - and it seems they have just come back from spending 3 weeks at their daughters (with the dog) house sitting they live in OAKHAM - East Anglia.

Karen
By chud (*) [gb] Date 07.03.05 09:49 GMT
Hi Kazz...
I go to the Kirby Cook & Pegg Vets on Chester Road....  vet said to be careful and to avoid the park... guess the surrounding area as well??...   Hope the cocker spaniel is okay?  x
By huskymad (*) [gb] Date 07.03.05 14:53 GMT
Every day im hearing more and more of these cases. I know a vet nurse who works in london vets clinic , she said there is an outbreak acroos the country and east anglia and birmingham are the worst hit areas at the moment. A lady near me who has it has saved 4 pups out of seven aged 9 weeks!!!. She did this by going against her vets advice by giving 2mls of amoxcillin 4 times aday instead of 1ml twice a day. She also used rehydration sachets as the pups werent eating or drinking. She said within 24 hours the change was undelievable. One pup had bloody watery stools and is now fine.  Its so worrying and heart breaking for those who have this virus
By kazz (***) [gb] Date 07.03.05 19:35 GMT
Hi Chud  It is a small world. Kirby and Cook that used to be my vets - they are good vets. I have avoided the park and hope everyone else who used to walk there stays way from where I am walking now - if that makes sense.

Cocker Spaniel I have no idea will find out as the week goes on.

Karen
By Maddison [gb] Date 08.03.05 22:32 GMT
Hi

My young male had this problem in August, following a show.  Started off quieter than normal, by the next morning he was off his food and he had the runs and was being sick, with a bit of blood.  Rushed him to the vet and insisted that I was sure he had a virus, the vet said no he has a touch of Colitis absolutely nothing to worry about.  He gave him something for the runs and sent us home. He was so ill, I really wasn't expecting him to make it through the night.  I sat with him, made him drink a glucose solution (syringed into his mouth) to keep his fluids up, and also gave him probiotic capsules.  I spent a few days sat with him, he didn't want to get out of his bed (he's normally a complete freak, much madder than our other 3) he really looked like he'd given up the will to live.  But after a few days he did start to pick up, but dropped so much weight he looked like a walking toast rack.  He got it I think on the 28th August and the first time I actually felt him feelling like his old self was at a show on the 13th November.  And I felt him fully back to fitness at the beginning of January. It really hit his system hard.  And despite me being so scrupulous with cleanliness whilst he was ill I got it too, and I can say I know why he looked like he wanted to give up the will to live.  My vets still insist that he only had a mild case of Colitis, they don't feel that us owners know the dog better than they do and I knew there was something more serious but they wouldn't have it. I now know of two other Dobes that have had this same problem one of which was taken to her vets and put on a drip for a few days.  Think this virus really needs to be made public knowledge, and obviously my vets hadn't heard of it.
By jenny (*) [gb] Date 12.03.05 14:54 GMT
my dog was very ill last week, being sick constantly and bad diaorreah.  By the time we got her to the vets she was shaking and pooping everywhere. Vet diagnosed as gastroenritis and gave her an injection and tablets, she did recover after about 2 days though after about a week of vomiting and not eating

im in surrey area
Previous Next Up Topic Dog Boards / Health / Virus similar to Parvo?
About Us - Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy