Champdogs Information Exchange - Not logged in
Forum Board Index Breeders Active Topics Help Search Register Login
Previous Next Up Topic Dog Boards / Feeding / Putting weight on fussy dog?
By frodo (**) [au] Date 04.05.05 14:47 GMT
A friend of mine has an extremely fussy little lhasa apso and because of this she is very underweight,she also gets loads of exerecise which isnt helping this particular issue!

I have given her all the suggestions i can think of,such as lamb breast,briskett,marrow and heaps of others,but because she's so fussy she doesnt eat the majority of this stuff,altho she would happily chow down on cheapo treats and roast chicken,hence why we know she is just being stubborn and is not sick!

My next suggestion was going to be to add some oil into her food,as hopefully she wont detect it.I'm thinking fish oil has the highest calories but i would imagine you would have to feed bucket loads to achieve weight gain confused

How do you put weight on a dog who wont eat enough??

Any suggestions will be greatfully passed on :-)
By ClaireyS (****) [gb] Date 04.05.05 14:56 GMT
I have a dog like this, he is healthy in every way, the only reason he is so thin is because he doesnt eat enough and he likes to run.  Everywhere I go I get given advice on what to feed him to build him up bit, which is all well and good but the only way to get him to eat these suggested foods would be to force feed him which at the moment as he is healthy I am not willing to do.

If your friends dog is healthy I wouldnt worry too much, I would definitely cut out the treats, chose a food and stick to it they usually get the idea I dont even think my boy would starve himself to death - although sometimes it looks like he will :rolleyes:
Hit goal weight back in May .... could still do with losing a bit more though !!
By tohme (****) [gb] Date 04.05.05 19:11 GMT
I would do the complete reverse. I would halve the dog's rations and keep it extremely hungry for several days, I think you will find that this generally motivates the dog to eat whatever is put in front of it whenever it gets it as it has had a taste of going without.

It is owners that create fussy dogs.........
By frodo (**) [au] Date 04.05.05 22:21 GMT
Good idea Tohme :-) On the odd occasion this dog does have an appetite she stuffs her as full as she can with as much food as she can fit in,on average she eats a decent size meal every 3 days or so,which to me means she isnt all that hungry inbetween as she was fed to bursting a few days before. It's just like the wolf,who gorges itself and then doesnt need to eat for a few days :-)

I was reading about this problem last night,i stumbled upon  a very simple line in how to deal with these dogs

"keep them hungry". 

Karen(my friend) is always offering food in the hopes that her dog will eat it,i can just see her dog rolling her eyes when she see's mummy coming over with another tid bit ;-)

I have yet to meet an owner of a fussy dog who didnt help to make the dog fussy! It usually starts with the dog refusing a meal,because he simply isnt hungry,the owner panicks and replaces this food with something irrisistable and so the vicious cycle begins :-( This is what Karen did!
By ClaireyS (****) [gb] Date 04.05.05 22:25 GMT
I disagree, I dont believe it is always the owner who creates the fussy dog.  I certainly have never pandered to my boys every need but he will quite happily starve himself for 2 or 3 days so keeping him hungry isnt an option - he does that himself.  We believe it is in his breeding, the breeders have kept his sister and they have to force feed her :-(

Good news though, the last couple of days he has eaten everything put in front of him - maybe things are looking up :-)
Hit goal weight back in May .... could still do with losing a bit more though !!
By Brainless (*****) [gb] Date 05.05.05 08:20 GMT
Some dogs are not naturally greedy and I have had two one worse than the other.  If you do start fussign and trying to get them to eat when they don't want to it does actually make them worse.

Once my bitch who was the eat every few days one got to adulthood I said stop no more and just put her food down and removed it when she didn't eat it.  Next mealtime no extra just the normal amount.

Yes she was always quite lean, would ahve prefered more body and coat, but she was fit as a fiddle, and while feeding a liter would eat like a horse and keep in excellent condition.

It is only since last May when she was spayed that she is actuly getting greedy as her metabolic rate has changed and she actually needs about a third less food than she used to eat, so it is now a more precious resource as she is actually hungry.
Barbara and the Grey Curly Tails.
By frodo (**) [au] Date 05.05.05 11:55 GMT
Claire any good tips? Or is your dog just getting a better appetite,do you think?

What about malted kelp?? Has anyone had any success with this product? I tried it with one of my dogs who hasnt got the best of appetites,but it didnt work for her :-(
By ClaireyS (****) [gb] Date 05.05.05 11:59 GMT
he has his good and bad days, I just dont fuss over him.  I bet tomorrow he wont eat a thing :-(
By frodo (**) [au] Date 05.05.05 11:56 GMT
Claire any good tips? Or is your dog just getting a better appetite,do you think?

What about malted kelp?? Has anyone had any success with this product? I tried it with one of my dogs who hasnt got the best of appetites,but it didnt work for her :-(

Many,many thanks for all of you helpful replies :-)
By archer (***) [gb] Date 05.05.05 13:57 GMT
Frodo
have PM'd you
Archer
By Brainless (*****) [gb] Date 05.05.05 08:16 GMT
Yep been there done that.  Have even stood there holdign my breath so as not to put her off eating,a dn then yellign at the kids if she got distracted by them coming into the room :D
Barbara and the Grey Curly Tails.
By f.a.brook (***) [gb] Date 06.05.05 20:59 GMT
just think about in the wild amimals eat for several days then not for a day or so
fiona
For, you see, each day I love you more,
Today more than yesterday and less than tomorrow.
By Jeangenie (*****) [gb] Date 06.05.05 21:24 GMT
Do they not eat by choice or only because there's no food available?
A closed mouth gathers no feet
By frodo (**) [au] Date 06.05.05 23:28 GMT
JG I've often wondered if these dogs are just doing what the wolf does in the wild.Gorge,starve,gorge,this is what this dog does.

On the wildlife shows i've seen,they have stated on more than a few occasions that when the wolf makes a big kill "they do not need to hunt for a few days",i imagine it would take a couple of days to properly digest the huge meal they had eaten,when that has been acomplished then they go out and hunt again.
By Bears_mum (*) [gb] Date 08.05.05 17:30 GMT
I had a bitch that was VERY underweight as we just couldnt get her to eat. She had a litter and still didnt gain any weight after her babies lol. But ive noticed now since having the pups she eats like a piggy and is slowly putting weight on. I couldnt find anything to work on my girl and i know how stressful it is. Although my girl is now putting weight on i would never suggest breeding just to put weight on (before people take it the wrong way lol)
By shifting sands (*) [gb] Date 11.05.05 05:39 GMT
Hi, you could give a "Pedigree" rask every day at bedtime, though it would get a bit pricey. They are high in calories and good for the teeth. I agree with the "keep em hungry" routine but if it doesn't work   (though it usually does) I have found few dogs can resist Arden Grange foods, or Butchers Tripe Mix well squished in the bowl and then small complete feed mixed in and coated in it. A sprinkle of grated cheese on top will often get them started, and sometimes they carry on and eat it all.

There is a supplement called "Resore" from Stock Nutrition which I found very good. I had an anorexic  Westie pup I wanted in show condition and NOTHING worked. Within a week of having Restore daily on naerly "neat" meat she started eating her biscuit too. When I finished the pot I wondered whether to buy another - but she carried on eating well without it.  Now adult, she will eat anything put in front of her, though she will never be a greedy dog.

Sometimes with a sensitive dog the owners attitude has a lot to do with whether the dog eats or not. If the owner is worried and concened the dog will pick up on this - but doesn't know WHAT the owner is worried about - just that they are worried about something. This in turn can make the dog worried and tense and may spoil its appetite. The meal should be made without comment or attracting the dogs attention on purpose and put down on the floor in a matter of fact way with little  encouragement. Ten minutes later the bowl should be removed out of reach and no food offered until the next meal time.
By frodo (**) [au] Date 11.05.05 07:23 GMT
Thanks for your helpful replies,especially shifting sands :-)

I know she picks the dog up and brings her to the food bowl,if she didnt the dog would have no idea that her "dinner was served".

I guess this is a big no-no :rolleyes:

Talking about all of this has made me toughen up on my dogs,i got into the bad habit of adding little extra's to most of their meals,i have just recently stopped doing this and it has been met with much discontent eek

So i may have to put some of your helpful replies into action with my dogs :o
By shifting sands (*) [gb] Date 12.05.05 07:59 GMT
You're welcome. :-). There is nothing wrong with giving the odd treat - after all our dogs do enjoy them, and we love them and want to treat them. But with a very fussy eater the tough approach is usually needed. Most dogs will also adore  real, cooked and CAREFULLY DE-BONED chicken with plain boiled wholegrain brown rice togther with a good vit/min supplement  like the Restore I mentioned, or SA37.

If you cook the chicken by simmering  the chicken joint/s in water ( bout 20 mins) you can add the well rinsed rice to the  water and cook them together. If you do this then throw the stock away after, or if you cook them seperately you can give the broth as a drink. Its not time consuming and you soon get into a routine of doing it fresh every day. Only cook as much rice as you need daily, dont keep cooked rice more than 24 hours and it must be kept cool. Though you can cook enough chicken for 2 or 3 days and keep in the fridge. I put mine in a plastic container and mark mine "Hands off -4 dogs" so the human family dont pinch em for a snack!!!

You can choose how you source the chicken - either cheapy frozen joints from the supermarket (human) or at the other end of the scale, organic chicken. The only time I bought chicken mince for dogs at the pet supermarket they got a tummy upset - so from then on I bought them when I did the weekly shop.
Only trouble with this chicken&rice diet is that once fed it, its soo yummy, many may not go back to ordinary dog food -  :-)

Re my suggestion of the rasks: the only problem with giving these daily would be that the appetite for meals may be actually worse, because there are lots of calories in them and may nearly meet this dogs requirements.

tohme: I thought they were recommended for preventing tartare occuring on the teeth? P'raps I'm mistaken.
By Cava14Una (***) [gb] Date 12.05.05 08:07 GMT
Must admit that at the speed Rasks are eaten I can't see how they clean teeth??

Anne
Anne in Scotland with Beardies and 2 blooming cheeky black and white cats
By tohme (****) [gb] Date 11.05.05 12:46 GMT
Not sure how Rasjks can be good for teeth when you look at the ingredients!
Previous Next Up Topic Dog Boards / Feeding / Putting weight on fussy dog?
About Us - Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy