Champdogs Information Exchange - Not logged in
Forum Board Index Breeders Active Topics Help Search Register Login
Previous Next Up Topic Other Boards / Feedback / New Hope for Fading Puppy Sysndrome (locked)
By glennanorris Date 26.05.05 23:33 GMT
Recently lost 3 yorkies to what my vet called Fading Puppy Sysndrome, wish I had found you post sooner, maybe could have save the 3 little furballs.  Your post mentions using a recently vaccinated dog, any special vaccination required?  I am going to pass this article on to my vet for their general information.
By Teri (****) [gb] Date 26.05.05 23:54 GMT
Hi Glenna,

Check out this link below - as you'll see there is a beef liver juice recipe on there (10th post) that worked very recently for a litter that was in dire straits.  It may be worth printing off for your vet too ;-) 

http://www.champdogsforum.co.uk/cgi-bin/board/topic_show.pl?tid=69147

So sorry to hear you lost your own litter to this dreadful illness - you have my sympathies.
best wishes, Teri
'Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers' (Voltaire)
By glennanorris Date 27.05.05 00:41 GMT
Thanks much  printed that receipe for the next time - Hopefully will never have to use it.
By Teri (****) [gb] Date 27.05.05 00:45 GMT
Hi again Glenna,

It wasn't down to me - just pointing you in the right direction :-)  It was actually Kayc who's replied to you on this thread too (re the vaccines) who managed to not only find the recipe on time but grab the necessary ingredients and make a very late night trip to a total stranger to help - she's a bit of an angel (but she doesn't like people to call her that :rolleyes: ) so keep it to yourself :D

Seriously, however, I do hope you never need it though it's good to have!   Teri ;-)
By kayc (****) [gb] Date 27.05.05 00:46 GMT
Kay is now sitting blowing raspeberries at Teri, who more than likely has had an extra glass of Ribena :D :D :P
Kay (Never under-estimate the power of stupid people in large groups) ;-)
By Teri (****) [gb] Date 27.05.05 00:49 GMT
MOI ??????  Gives me a headache that dark red stuff - more of a very low proof rose or white person cool  And I'm on coffee as it happens - which is probably why I'm wide awake :D
By kayc (****) [gb] Date 26.05.05 23:55 GMT
Hi Glennanorris, and welcome to the forum.

So sorry about your pups, its devastating when something like this happens.

FPS (Fading Puppy Syndrome) does not seem to attributed to any one particular virus. Many factors contribute to deaths of the pups.  BUT, in very recent years a major inroad has been made in the Canine Herpes Virus, which, although still not proven, has been said to be the major contributor to FPS. 

The Vaccine is the CHV vaccine and is administered to the bitch by injection as soon after mating as possible, another injection is given exactly 2weeks before due whelping date. 

Having been through all the problems of FPS and resorption, I would now never consider a mating without the vaccines.
By glennanorris Date 27.05.05 00:47 GMT
Thanks for the vaccine info, I'l be sure to hang on to this for future reference.  I do have other questions.  Do you know how this is passed from pup to pup or are they just born this way?  Can my Tommie girl(bitch) be effected by FPS too?  Can the surviving pup still be effected by FPS, she is not showing any signs, big girl 1 lb 2 oz plus as of last night, not showing any signs of fading, but then again neither did the 5.5 oz plus ones until they quit eating.
By kayc (****) [gb] Date 27.05.05 01:24 GMT
Glenna, I could write a book on the subject now, Sadly :-(

Hope this gives you more of an insight.

Canine herpesvirus is generally referred to as CHV, and is a leading cause of puppy deaths, especially in puppies one to three weeks of age. We have all heard of breeders saying something like this "The puppies were fine this morning, but then they stopped eating and died before I could do anything!" Anytime puppies die in this fashion, there is a reason to suspect CHV.

Canine herpesvirus is a viral disease that affects many puppies, causing sporadic deaths and occasionally the death of an entire litter. The virus lives in the reproductive and respiratory tracts of male and female dogs and can be s*xually transmitted. The virus persists in the female's va**nal secretions and the male's s*men. As in many herpes infections found in other species, adult animals can live for years with no apparent signs; these are called "asymptomatic carriers". This means the adult male and female dogs can remain infected and transmit the disease for years while showing no signs of disease themselves.

Puppies can become infected several ways. The virus can cross the placenta and infect them while they are still within the uterus, or they may become exposed from v*ginal secretions during birth. The virus can also become airborne from nasal secretions of the mother, so once born, the pup can actually inhale the virus while breathing. Puppies can easily spread the virus from one to another. Lastly, the virus can be transmitted by eating infected materials.

Once exposed, it generally takes about a week for symptoms to appear. With this in mind, you can easily see why 1 to 3 week old puppies are at the highest risk. Severely infected individuals will become depressed, stop nursing and cry. Their faeces will be soft and yellow-green. Their livers enlarge and their abdomens are painful. The liver becomes damaged and can no longer function normally. Some puppies develop respiratory signs and nasal discharge. Others develop a rash on their abdomen. Hemorrhages such as nose bleeds and small bruises on the mucous membranes or skin may appear. Some puppies will show nervous system signs such as blindness and staggering. Puppies usually die within 24-48 hours of showing signs of disease.

Not all pups exposed at birth become ill, and many show no signs at all or develop only a slight congestion and recover within a few days.Puppies exposed after six weeks of age have a better chance of recovery. Older puppies develop the disease by coming in contact with the mother's infected, but normal-appearing, nasal secretions.Those that live often develop into carrier adults just like their parents.

It appears that the virus thrives best at a temperature of around 99F, so this may help to explain why older puppies are at less risk as their body temperature is usually around 101.5F.  ( I usually bottle feed with a warmer than normal temp milk, this helps stabilise the body temp from the inside out)  I also heat them up with a hairdyer before feeding, puppies will not suck when cold.

Adult carriers typically exhibit no obvious symptoms, however, small blister-like lesions may occasionally be noted on the v*ginal wall.

Canine herpesvirus is one of the leading causes of death in newborn puppies. Once the above signs develop, death often follows in 48 hours. The disease spreads rapidly through the litter as infected puppies are highly contagious. I suspect many cases of herpes are wrongly diagnosed as disorders such as parvovirus and coronavirus. Autopsies of deceased puppies by a veterinary pathologist will reveal the characteristic herpes lesions.

A final diagnosis can only be made following an autopsy. Diagnostic hemorrhagic lesions will be found within the kidney and liver, and the lungs will usually be congested. The affected organs will have cells containing characteristic signs of the disease.
By Admin (Administrator) [gb] Date 27.05.05 07:11 GMT
Locked until I get time to branch this thread :-)
Previous Next Up Topic Other Boards / Feedback / New Hope for Fading Puppy Sysndrome (locked)
About Us - Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy